Weld contact in Ansys Workbench

In summary, the conversation discusses the creation of a weld joint/connection between two plates in Ansys Workbench. The simplest approach would be to use a bonded contact condition, while more advanced techniques involve modeling the weld bead and using different material properties in the weld region. It is suggested to use APDL for a simple 2D plane model and to consider the stress intensification factor for accurate results.
gajanan lade
Hi,
I am new to Ansys workbench. I am doing analysis with simple fillet joint between two plate.
I would like to learn about creation of weld joint/connection between plates. Anybody can help me to create such realistic connection.

-Gajanan

Likes mohammadshoaib
Engineering news on Phys.org
The simplest implementation is to created a bonded contact condition between the two parts and ignore the fillet altogether, but this assumes it's a full-thickness penetrating weld. More advanced techniques would physically model the weld bead and then use different material properties in the weld region, but that may be more work than you're looking for.

Why use Workbench? This is a simple 2D plane model that can be done very easily using APDL. Also, real life fillet welds are never a perfect triangle, so your results are not worth much unless you know what the stress intensification factor is.

Likes gjonesy

1. What is weld contact in Ansys Workbench?

Weld contact in Ansys Workbench refers to the connection between two or more bodies or components using a weld joint. It allows for the simulation of the welding process and its effects on the overall structure or system.

2. How is weld contact defined in Ansys Workbench?

In Ansys Workbench, weld contact is defined by specifying the contact type, material properties, and other parameters such as the type of weld joint and its geometry. This information is used to accurately simulate the behavior of the welded structure.

3. What are the advantages of using weld contact in Ansys Workbench?

Using weld contact in Ansys Workbench allows for a more accurate and realistic simulation of welded structures, as it takes into account the effects of the welding process on the material properties. It also helps in identifying potential failure points and improving the overall design of the structure.

4. How can I create weld contact in Ansys Workbench?

To create weld contact in Ansys Workbench, you can use the Weld Tool within the Connections branch. This tool allows you to define the type of weld joint, specify the contact properties, and select the bodies or components to be welded together.

5. Can weld contact be used for all types of welding processes?

Yes, weld contact in Ansys Workbench can be used for a wide range of welding processes, including spot welding, seam welding, and fillet welding. The type of weld joint and its properties can be adjusted to accurately simulate different welding processes.