Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Whale killed on the second try a century later

1. Jun 14, 2007 #1
    I am not exactly a tree hugger or big on saving the whales, but for some reason this story has stuck in my mind. There is something about the whale living for over a hundred years after the first attempt to kill it that is bugging me. If ever a creature deserved to live a full natural life it was this one.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2007 #2

Staff: Mentor

This was also very upsetting to me. I am against whaling.

Did you hear that one of the two rare white rhinos left in Zimbabwe was killed by poachers the other day?

4. Jun 14, 2007 #3
    I hadn't heard about the Rhino. The whole world is getting bizarre. I did read that poachers are now killing Central African elephants for the meat as well as the ivory. Sad situation.

5. Jun 14, 2007 #4
    the poachers are just trying to earn a living and happen to not care about endangered animals. the people that there is something wrong with are the ones who buy the stuff.
  6. Jun 14, 2007 #5

The poachers are willfully ignorant opportunists. If they are caught they should be made an example of to send a signal to other poachers that laws mean something. I'm sorry but poverty is not an excuse because the majority of the population is law abiding. From videos I've seen, these poachers are more aware of what they are doing than you give them credit for.
  7. Jun 14, 2007 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think that Devil-fire makes a valid point though. If that stuff wasn't worth anything then people wouldn't poach. Its probably best to target the root of the problem, but thats easier said than done and thats why people are left trying to police poachers with limited resources.
  8. Jun 14, 2007 #7

That doesn't mean that the poachers aren't scum. Of course buyers for illegal items drive criminal behavior. The poachers are criminal scum out to make a buck and they don't care how they do it.

Anyway, let's get back to the poor whale.
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2007
  9. Jun 14, 2007 #8
    They cut it up with a chain saw instead of knives, who says we aren't making progress.:mad:
  10. Jun 14, 2007 #9
    I once say a tribe of Alaskian Indians that hunted and killed a whale, and then they ate it and gave out the meat to the village (on tv). All the people in Green-peace were up in arms, but Im like eh. These people used to hunt whales for their village for thousands of years. They had not killed a whale in the last 100 years, so they were not exactly exhausting the whale population. Its part of their culture and way of life to eat whales and use the blubber.

I dont know how many whales are left in the world. I dont think people should kill whales, but Im not that opposed to Alaskian Indians hunting whales for food, as long as its done in modesty.
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2007
  11. Jun 15, 2007 #10

Homework Helper

Did you guys know the Baiji dolphin (China's river dolphin) was declared funcitonally extinct on dec 2006?.

I mean, they should have acted when they knew they had left only 12.
  12. Jun 15, 2007 #11

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I take it a bit differently. If you're going to kill a whale, better that it's an old one that has had a long life with plenty of time to breed many offspring rather than a young one. Culling the oldest animals of any group seems more natural than interferring with those that are in their prime reproductive years, and more likely to be a sustainable hunt if you only take the very old ones and leave the rest to breed.
  13. Jun 15, 2007 #12

Science Advisor

There's just trying to earn a living. There will always be yuppie Americans with good jobs and nice homes saying how people in the third world should be living their lives. Stop whaling, stop killing elephants, stop destroying the rain forest. What exactly are these people supposed to live on?

Conservation is a good idea overall but you can't honestly force somebody to choose between life and death then get upset when they choose life. You may value whales, or rhinos, or the rainforest, but those poor people value life itself, and they will destroy whales, rhinos, and rainforests to maintain it.
  14. Jun 15, 2007 #13
    Aw gees moonie you always have to be so blasted practical.:biggrin: , but overall I tend to agree. I don't mind if the native Indians carry on a centuries old tradition. It has always been done on a very small scale compared with commercial whaling from factory ships.

As far as I know there are no size or age limits in commercial whaling like there are in other forms of aquatic harvesting. Off of the northwest coast Even crabs have to meet a size limit.
  15. Jun 15, 2007 #14
    For the most part this does not involve a life or death situation for individuals. The hunting, whaling and deforestation is being done commercially by big companies for for big bucks.

Ironically the closer a species comes to being extinct, the more some arrogant bastard will pay to have it on his dinner table or over his mantle.
  16. Jun 15, 2007 #15

Gold Member

If you think that whale was tough, Google on "Mocha Dick" a real-life light-colored bull sperm whale that was harpooned many, many, times and attacked whaling ships and naval vessels. He breached the hull of the Essex and the crew had to escape in small whale boats with insufficient provisions. Most of them could have probably made it to the Marquesas, but they feared to go there because the islands were populated by people who practiced cannibalism, so they made for South America, only to resort to cannibalism themselves. One fellow who drew the short straw to be executed was Owen Coffin, the cabin boy, and nephew of the captain. He was 14, IIR, and insisted on meeting his fate. The other youngster in that particular boat was the one who drew the short straw as executioner, and he pleaded with Coffin to swap roles, to no avail. The captain would not partake of Coffin, but luckily for him, another crew member died of natural causes not long after, so he had food. The story was (very roughly) the inspiration for Mountain's "Nantucket Sleighride". Melville had heard of Mocha Dick and the travails of the crew of the Essex, and "Moby Dick" was the resultant novel.
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2007
  17. Jun 15, 2007 #16
    The whale was killed by Alaskan Indians. As far as I know it wasn't those Indians that made whales near exstinct in the first place. This happend with the bald eagle as well. The world was used and abused around them and now all of the sudden they are the criminals..? Same story for Africa. Absolutely no stability to due people outside mashing and dividing ethnicities and then arming them with millions of weapons.
  18. Jun 15, 2007 #17
    don't get me wrong, i don't think poachers are vary moral people. it isn't like they are killing tigers, rhinos, sharks and whales for their dinner. many make a fairly well living when you consider how most people in those areas are doing.

but still, there are Lots of people who make a living off of morally grayish professions and poachers are one of them. the guys i think that are totally immoral are the guys who are plenty wealthy and just want to eat rhino eye balls for supper for no other reason then because they can.

the poachers could have an excuse that they are poorly educated so they do not fully understand the historical ramifications of the extinction of some of the most exotic animals on earth. the guys who can shell out $100,000 for the body of some animal usually understand full well whats going on (which is why they spend so much money on the stuff)
  19. Jun 15, 2007 #18

10 villages in Alaska have been given between them a 5 year quota of 255 whales to kill.
  20. Jun 15, 2007 #19
    In Zimbabwe? Now this is an example of willful ignorance in the extreme.

Educate thyself:

It always pisses me off when I see large living large yanks/brit critisize people on the edge of starvation for trying to make a living.
  21. Jun 15, 2007 #20

Oh and these poachers shared the money with the populace? You don't even know who the poachers are, what makes you automatically assume they are some poor starving village person? You ever watch documentaries on poaching? Many of these people are professionals. Talk about ignorance. Educate thyself!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?