Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What about N20?

1. Feb 19, 2008 #1

wolram

Gold Member

As a dangerous green house gas, from what i have read---------

Nitrous oxide (N2O) accounts for 9 per cent of all greenhouse gases, yet is 300 times more potent than carbon dioxide . As a result the length of time it stays in the atmosphere provides a potentially more damaging legacy than CO2

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2008 #2

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The number one source is agricultural soil management. So if I go on a diet, can I drive a big car?

4. Feb 20, 2008 #3
    My understanding is that Nitrous Oxide is treated basically the same way as Carbon Dioxide for environmental and regulatory purposes. For example the Supreme Court Ruling ordering the EPA to regulate greenhouse gases actually covered "Carbon dioxide, methane, nitrous oxide, and hydrofluorocarbons". The Kyoto Protocol regulates those four and also two others-- if you look the Kyoto caps actually concern "carbon dioxide equivalent emissions of the greenhouse gases listed in Annex A".

In the press and in everyday speech we often refer to "carbon dioxide" but what is really meant by this is greenhouse gases in general.

5. Feb 22, 2008 #4
    Even better reason to use it as an oxidizer!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?