What Advice is There to Become a Successful CS Student?

• Thread starter realism877
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cs Student
In summary: It's important to have a system for understanding what you're reading so you don't get lost. Make sure you write everything down as you go so you don't forget what you did.
realism877
I just finished my intro to programming course, and I have to take intro to C next spring. The first course was rough, but I got through it. The problem I have is reading an assignnment provided by the professor and understand what it is asking.

Any advice is there for improvement?

Technology news on Phys.org
I think you meant you didn't understand the reading. You should read and mess around with code you have. I have taken 2 programming classes so far and it is important to write out code and just mess with it until you get what you want.

Ivan92 said:
I think you meant you didn't understand the reading. You should read and mess around with code you have. I have taken 2 programming classes so far and it is important to write out code and just mess with it until you get what you want.

Yeah, I have a hard time understanding the math problems.

What kind of math problems? I'm studing CS, and it's rough at times, but you have to practise a lot. Write some programs for fun. :)

As for maths, I'm no expert, but you could try writing a program to solve some simple maths problems (like Euclid's GCD, or Pascal's Triangle)

C is good, I'm learning it myself (a few courses in now), it's a bit more tedious than say Java, for some things (like string processing) but you get the hang them. One thing I've found helpful is to keep a library (.h) file of useful functions that I write, so I can use them later (like clearing the input buffer, a linked list implementation, and various other things).

As for reading your assignment and understanding what's asked. Be systematic when you read it. Note down what your input data is, what format it's in, what variables you might need to store this data, then have a think about what processing is involved, how do I get from the input to the output, what kind of algorithm do you need, and how do I format my output - to the screen, or a file?

I keep a scratch pad handy when I'm nutting out an assignment, it helps me to organise my thoughts.

Last edited:

Congratulations on completing your intro to programming course! It can definitely be challenging, but you made it through. As you prepare for your intro to C course, here are some tips that may help you become a successful CS student:

1. Practice, practice, practice: The more you code, the better you will become at understanding assignments and solving problems. Make sure to spend time outside of class coding and experimenting with different concepts and techniques.

2. Seek help when needed: Don't be afraid to ask for help when you are struggling with an assignment or concept. Your professor, teaching assistants, and classmates are all great resources to turn to.

3. Break down assignments: When you receive an assignment, take the time to break it down into smaller, manageable tasks. This will help you better understand what is being asked and how to approach the problem.

4. Use online resources: There are many online resources available for CS students, such as tutorials, forums, and coding challenges. Take advantage of these resources to supplement your learning.

5. Take notes: During lectures and while reading assignments, make sure to take detailed notes. This will help you better understand and remember the material.

6. Practice problem-solving: CS is all about problem-solving, so make sure to practice this skill. Start with simpler problems and work your way up to more complex ones.

7. Stay organized: Keep track of your assignments, due dates, and study materials. This will help you stay on top of your workload and avoid falling behind.

8. Don't give up: CS can be challenging and it's normal to struggle at times. Don't get discouraged and keep pushing through. With practice and determination, you will improve and become a successful CS student. Good luck!

1. What skills do I need to become a successful CS student?

To become a successful CS student, you will need a strong foundation in mathematics, problem-solving skills, critical thinking abilities, and a passion for technology and coding. Additionally, having strong communication skills and the ability to work well in a team are also important for success in the field.

2. How can I improve my programming skills?

To improve your programming skills, it is essential to practice regularly. This can include completing coding challenges, working on personal projects, and participating in coding competitions. Additionally, seeking mentorship and attending workshops or coding bootcamps can also help improve your skills.

3. Is it necessary to have a specific computer or software for CS studies?

While having a high-performance computer can be beneficial, it is not necessary to have a specific type of computer or software for CS studies. Most universities and colleges have computer labs and resources available for students to use, and many programming languages and tools can be accessed online for free.

4. How important is networking for a CS student?

Networking is crucial for all students, including CS students. Building connections with professors, classmates, and professionals in the industry can open up opportunities for internships, job offers, and mentorship. Attending career fairs and joining student organizations can also help expand your network and enhance your career prospects.

5. What advice do you have for time management as a CS student?

Time management is essential for success as a CS student. It is crucial to prioritize tasks and create a schedule that allows for enough time to study, attend classes, and complete assignments. It is also helpful to break down larger projects into smaller, more manageable tasks and to eliminate distractions while studying or working on assignments.