What Affects the Energy of a Photon?

In summary, the conversation discusses the factors that affect the energy and intensity of a photon. The main point is that the energy of a photon is determined by its frequency, which is equal to the speed of light divided by its wavelength. This means that frequency, wavelength, and velocity all play a role in the energy of a photon. The conversation also touches on the concept of the Doppler effect and how gravitational fields can affect the frequency of a photon.
FeDeX_LaTeX
Gold Member
Hello;

I asked my physics teacher what affected the energy of a photon. He said that it was only the frequency, and nothing else. However, I don't understand this.

E = hv (I'll say E = hf to make it simpler to avoid confusion) states that the energy of a photon is equal to Planck's constant multiplied by the frequency of the wave.

However, frequency is equal to velocity over wavelength due to v = fλ. So this means that;

[tex]E = \frac {hv} {\lambda}[/tex]

Meaning that frequency, wavelength AND velocity affect the energy of a photon. Is this true or is my physics teacher correct?

Thanks.

Science news on Phys.org
I would say your teacher is correct. Assuming the photon is in a vacuum, it always travels at the speed of light, c. Then you know,

[tex]
c=\nu\lambda
[/tex]

so if I give you the wavelength of a photon, you automatically know what the frequency is--they are dependent on each other.

Thanks, that makes sense. So it is definitely only wavelength and frequency (and photons per second) that affect the intensity of light?

Photons per area per second, otherwise yes.

If i were to travel at the photon at a certain speed , the Doppler effect would come into play and i would perceive the photon as a different frequency so if i traveled fast enough i could make red light look green , i wonder if that would hold up in court for blowing a red light , then they would just give me a speeding ticket anyway , And also gravitational fields affect the frequency of the photon ,

Well, if they don't fine you for running through the red light, they could certainly fine you for speeding!

What is a photon?

A photon is a fundamental particle of light that carries energy. It is also known as an electromagnetic wave packet or a quantum of electromagnetic radiation.

How is the energy of a photon determined?

The energy of a photon is determined by its frequency, which is directly proportional to the energy of the photon. This means that the higher the frequency of a photon, the higher its energy will be.

What factors affect the energy of a photon?

The energy of a photon is affected by three main factors: frequency, wavelength, and the medium it travels in. Changes in these factors can cause the energy of a photon to increase or decrease.

Does the energy of a photon change as it travels through different media?

Yes, the energy of a photon can change as it travels through different media. This is because the speed of light, and therefore the frequency, can change in different media, which in turn affects the energy of the photon.

Can the energy of a photon be affected by external factors?

Yes, there are external factors that can affect the energy of a photon. For example, the energy of a photon can be changed by interacting with other particles, such as through absorption or emission processes.