Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What Affects the Energy of a Photon?

1. Jun 20, 2010 #1

FeDeX_LaTeX

Gold Member

Hello;

I asked my physics teacher what affected the energy of a photon. He said that it was only the frequency, and nothing else. However, I don't understand this.

E = hv (I'll say E = hf to make it simpler to avoid confusion) states that the energy of a photon is equal to Planck's constant multiplied by the frequency of the wave.

However, frequency is equal to velocity over wavelength due to v = fλ. So this means that;

[tex]E = \frac {hv} {\lambda}[/tex]

Meaning that frequency, wavelength AND velocity affect the energy of a photon. Is this true or is my physics teacher correct?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2010 #2
    I would say your teacher is correct. Assuming the photon is in a vacuum, it always travels at the speed of light, c. Then you know,

[tex]
    c=\nu\lambda
    [/tex]

so if I give you the wavelength of a photon, you automatically know what the frequency is--they are dependent on each other.

4. Jun 27, 2010 #3

FeDeX_LaTeX

Gold Member

Thanks, that makes sense. So it is definitely only wavelength and frequency (and photons per second) that affect the intensity of light?

5. Jun 27, 2010 #4
    Photons per area per second, otherwise yes.

6. Jun 27, 2010 #5
    If i were to travel at the photon at a certain speed , the Doppler effect would come into play and i would perceive the photon as a different frequency so if i traveled fast enough i could make red light look green , i wonder if that would hold up in court for blowing a red light , then they would just give me a speeding ticket anyway , And also gravitational fields affect the frequency of the photon ,

7. Jun 27, 2010 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, if they don't fine you for running through the red light, they could certainly fine you for speeding!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook