What Angle Prevents a Cylinder from Slipping on an Inclined Plane?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 6K views
NAkid
Messages
70
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A block of a certain material begins to slide on an inclined plane when the plane is inclined to an angle of 11.86o. If a solid cyclinder is fashioned from the same material, what will be the maximum angle at which it will roll without slipping on the plane (in degrees)?


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


drew a free body diagram, and have the following equations

mgsin(theta) + friction = ma
torque = friction*R = I(angular acceleration) --> friction=(I*angular acceleration)/R
mgsin(theta) + (I*angular acceleration)/R = ma
a=R*(angular acceleration) and I = .5MR^2
... substitute those in, but then I get

theta = (inverse sin)[(.5*a)/g] -- how do i solve for a?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
NAkid said:

The Attempt at a Solution


drew a free body diagram, and have the following equations

mgsin(theta) + friction = ma
torque = friction*R = I(angular acceleration) --> friction=(I*angular acceleration)/R
mgsin(theta) + (I*angular acceleration)/R = ma
a=R*(angular acceleration) and I = .5MR^2
... substitute those in, but then I get

theta = (inverse sin)[(.5*a)/g] -- how do i solve for a?

Have you used the relation between [itex]v[/itex] and [itex]\omega[/itex]?