What Are Effective DIY Techniques for Combating Roaches in a 55-Year-Old House?

• Thread starter kyphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diy
In summary: This is a very common problem and there are many ways to get rid of roaches. One way is to use roach traps. Another is to use a roach bomb. Another is to use a cockroach gel. Another is to use a cockroach trap. Boric Acid powder, available at your local garden supply store or big-box hardware store, is a pretty potent poison, and, when combined with water, will kill roaches. Roach traps are effective, but they don't work on very big roaches. A cockroach bomb is a bomb that contains a poison that will kill cockroaches.
kyphysics
55 year old house that is cleaned every day. I have roach traps (they don't work) and I've used moth balls and cedar wood to try to repel them. . .these worked for a while, but they keep coming back every 4 months or so.

I've read online that roaches are very adaptive, so even if moth balls repel them for a while, their bodies adapt and later on it will lose its effect.

Professional roach treatment is an option, but costs a few hundred dollars. Anyone know of any known/proven techniques for DIY roach combat with these speedy, annoying, and un-killable (at least not permanently) pests???

I saw one so big the other night (like the size of 3 U.S. quarter coins) that I had trouble sleeping (worried it'd crawl all over me...I got grossed out)! :nb):nb):nb)

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe it doesn't help that neighbor to the right and left have outdoor BBQ grills they use a good amt. of time and neighbor behind me has a VERY unkempt lawn, lots of mildew/mold/fungus growing on his vinyl siding and yard fence and also grills outside. I did see TerminX come to house next door about 2.5 weeks ago (in addition to a no name pest control company...maybe he was getting estimates).

In some countries, like the US for example, there are companies called "exterminators" that will rid you of pests.

Cockroaches of that size are found in Central and South America, and Australia.

kyphysics said:
I did see TerminX come to house next door about 2.5 weeks ago (in addition to a no name pest control company...maybe he was getting estimates).
Can you talk to your neighbours?

sophiecentaur said:
Can you talk to your neighbours?
Yes, but it'd be awkward.

Any suggestions for what to say?

I shall search for a mechanical cat/mouse to roam my kitchen (where these bugs LOVE to hang out around 1AM)...

kyphysics said:
Yes, but it'd be awkward.

Any suggestions for what to say?
You have my sympathy about the infestation; these things we can do without. I guess it's down to your local culture of neighbour - neighbour relations. If you want this business sorted out then I would say that some awkwardness is going to be there, one way or another. Doing nothing is hardly an option.

I'd perhaps start with "How did you get on with that pest exterminator firm the other day? I think I'll need someone in my house too. Is it the roaches? " etc etc. Your neighbour would be very defensive if you start off with a complaint so asking for help can get past an initial hostile reaction.

Likes pinball1970
kyphysics said:
I saw one so big the other night (like the size of 3 U.S. quarter coins) that I had trouble sleeping (worried it'd crawl all over me...I got grossed out)! :nb):nb):nb)
They have something terrifying. I had a similar experience to yours. In my case, we moved to another house, and sold it to a young couple who wanted to rehabilitate it ( a 200 squared meters' apartment in the old town)
Greetings!

mcastillo356 said:
They have something terrifying. I had a similar experience to yours. In my case, we moved to another house, and sold it to a young couple who wanted to rehabilitate it ( a 200 squared meters' apartment in the old town)
Greetings!
Hi,

I'm not in such a lucky situation to be able to move (housing stock in U.S. is sparse - albeit, location dependent - as lots of people don't want to sell their home with an often low existing mortgage rate (3%) to try to go on the market to buy a new home with high 7% rates).

The United Stated is also likely going into a recession soon (if analysts are to be believed), so that complicates timing also. Layoffs are increasing.

Every night I sleep with the lights on. I know it's silly, but I really really HATE roaches!

• Sad
Likes mcastillo356
sophiecentaur said:
I'd perhaps start with "How did you get on with that pest exterminator firm the other day? I think I'll need someone in my house too. Is it the roaches? " etc etc. Your neighbour would be very defensive if you start off with a complaint so asking for help can get past an initial hostile reaction.
That's not a bad approach. I'll mentally play around with that wording to get something that might work.

The fungus/mold/mildew neighbor who seems to never mow his lawn or rake leaves is another story! He's a grumpy older fellow, who isn't very nice to talk to. His car is very old looking and he honestly looks broke. I do wonder if HE HAS the roaches and cannot afford an exterminator!

A recommended and proven method is apply Boric Acid powder, available at your local garden supply store or big-box hardware store. Boric Acid is a pretty potent poison, and, when the roaches groom, they ingest it. Just before they die, they often come out of hiding, so don't mistake a 'sudden invasion' as failure, it's actually a success!

A bellows-style applicator is convenient for many areas. You have to get all cracks dosed, as in everyplace a wall meets the floor, under and behind floor level built-in cabinets (sometimes inside too), all plumbing penetrations of the structure (those can be stuffed with Steel Wool if needed), etc.

Cabinets, even built-in, frequently have a false floor, so don't forget that area. Cabinets often have a ventilation opening just above the kick plate, which is a convenient spot to inoculate that area. I bought a few feet of clear flexible tubing that fit the vacuum cleaner exahust, dumped some Boric Acid in it, poked one end under the cabinet and the other end to the vacuum cleaner exhaust, and turned it on. Better wear a face mask and eye protection!

Don't forget behind the refrigerator and behind cabinets. Take out the lower level kitchen drawers and dose that area too. You probably will not need to spray the pantry, but under and behind it is a good idea if accessible.

The unexpected places I've found are a small opening around a wall power outlet, and a tiny space between the granite kitchen counter-top and the supporting plywood under it; that was their main nest!

In an apartment building, I've seen roaches crawl out of a covered fire sprinkler opening, and from a smoke detector that was wired to a central alarm system.

Pay attention to where the beasts are most frequently seen, it will be near their nest.

Note: Exterminators tend to use a liquid poison that evaporates over time, more repeat business that way. The same with the spray cans from the local hardware store. Those are convenient to have around for the occassional critter that you can target on the run.

The exterminators often recommend that you stay out of the area for 4 hours after treatment. When I asked one about the Keep Out requirement the response was "That's mainly so kids don't touch it to see if it's still wet and then touch their face"

Cheers,
Tom

• Wow
Likes kyphysics and Spinnor
I got rid of Ef f’ing rats between ceiling and floors after 2wks with random ultrasound. Apparently it works on some insects too. I got 4 wall units for $40 and also generated my own on my PC tower speakers using Audacity. white noise with 18kHz HPF verified in spectral plot. That made them quiet. Pesky rodents love eating PVC insulation on ceiling lights and I didn’t like the thought of BBQ electrocuted rats in the bedroom floor over the TV room. Garage ceiling and floor drywall was their entrance.

kyphysics said:
...I shall search for a mechanical cat/mouse to roam my kitchen (where these bugs LOVE to hang out around 1AM)...
I've had positive results using Boric Acid powder outdoors as @Tom.G suggests. I found a useful mechanical trap for roaches and related insects invading my condo building from without. These glue traps ordered online can be deployed spread out where non-pest contact remains unlikely such as under a sink, or folded into little rectangular boxes.

Deploying a few glue traps early in the warm season stopped the roach infestation from outdoors before they could breed in my ground floor condo. The condo association (HOA) sprays externally. So far, a few strategically placed glue traps have reduced roach sightings to none. Replacement fresh glue traps show no roaches though a few lost crickets and other refugees from surrounding gardens have appeared.

FTR I prefer folding little boxes to a flat sheet, though the latter can trap small rodents, after accidentally trapping random loose items in a closet the roaches once used to enter under a staircase.

Beware if anyone in your household has peanut allergies: the traps I use contain peanut extract as an attractant. Good luck.

kyphysics said:
55 year old house that is cleaned every day. I have roach traps (they don't work) and I've used moth balls and cedar wood to try to repel them. . .these worked for a while, but they keep coming back every 4 months or so.

I've read online that roaches are very adaptive, so even if moth balls repel them for a while, their bodies adapt and later on it will lose its effect.

Professional roach treatment is an option, but costs a few hundred dollars. Anyone know of any known/proven techniques for DIY roach combat with these speedy, annoying, and un-killable (at least not permanently) pests???

Big (American) roaches are good news - they come in from outside - you seldom see more than one at a time?
If so,
Spraying around the foundation can help.

Cats can earn their keep killing them

Far worse are the small German roaches which breed in the house and appear in the tens or hundreds

I'm surprised the roach traps don't work. I used the roach traps which have a sticky substance inside and caught dozens of them. If you put a lot of these around, it should reduce the number of roaches.

I'm going to research your suggestion Tom.G!

Likes Tom.G

1. How do I know if I have a roach infestation in my 55-year-old house?

The most common signs of a roach infestation include seeing live roaches, finding their droppings, and noticing a musty odor in areas where they may be hiding. You may also see egg casings or shed skin from the roaches.

2. Are there any natural DIY methods for getting rid of roaches?

Yes, there are several natural DIY methods that can be effective in combating roaches. Some options include using boric acid, diatomaceous earth, or essential oils like peppermint or tea tree oil. These methods work by either repelling or dehydrating the roaches.

3. How can I prevent roaches from entering my 55-year-old house?

To prevent roaches from entering your house, make sure to seal any cracks or openings where they may be able to enter. Keep your house clean and free of food debris, and store food in airtight containers. You can also use natural repellents like bay leaves or catnip to deter roaches.

4. Will DIY methods be as effective as professional pest control?

DIY methods can be effective in combating roaches, but they may not be as thorough or long-lasting as professional pest control. If you have a severe infestation or are unable to get rid of the roaches on your own, it may be best to consult a professional.

5. How often should I use DIY methods to get rid of roaches?

The frequency of using DIY methods will depend on the severity of the infestation and the effectiveness of the method you are using. It may be necessary to repeat the treatment every few weeks until the roaches are completely gone. It is also important to continue with preventative measures to avoid future infestations.