What are gradschool options for Mechanical Engineering?

In summary, the conversation discusses the options for pursuing graduate school with a mechanical engineering undergraduate degree. It is suggested that the individual could potentially switch disciplines, but may need to take additional courses to catch up. The conversation also mentions the interest in nanotechnology and space transportation, and suggests that a mechanical engineering degree could be a good foundation for those fields. It is recommended to take relevant elective courses and to speak with professors who may have connections in those areas.
liubare
Just wondering what I could go into for grad school with a ME undergrad?
I really enjoy physics, but I want to be more "hands-on" for my career, but at the same time I want to be able to freely communicate with professional physicists.

Is there a website or something that lays out graduate options for undergrads?

Physics news on Phys.org
You could go into engineering grad school. Switching disciplines is a bit of a stretch (since there will be other candidates with more applicable education and background), but not completely impossible (especially if you're willing to take 'remedial' courses to bone up your background). Grad school and research don't always fit in the nice little divisions you see in undergrad.

Thanks for the response. At this point, I have an interest in getting into nanotechnology and/or space transportation. Do you think a ME is a good undergrad for this path?

I think that mechanical is probably as good of an undergrad degree as any, aside from perhaps aerospace engineering or nano engineering. There are a few bonafide nano engineering programs, but I think nano engineering (as stand-alone degree programs, and not as in the technical field) is probably in its infancy.

Obviously, if you decide you'd like to do nano or aerospace for grad school, you should take those electives that provide the background (or at least introduction) necessary to do so. And you should probably find a grad school with a mechanical (or other) engineering department that does a lot of aerospace or nano (and they're definitely out there).

Talk to your profs--even if they don't do something you're really interested in, they probably know someone (at the same institution / department or otherwise) who does.

There are many graduate school options for those with an undergraduate degree in Mechanical Engineering. Some popular choices include pursuing a Master's degree in Mechanical Engineering, a Master's in Engineering Management, or a Master's in Engineering with a focus on a specific area such as materials science or robotics. Additionally, there are also options for a PhD in Mechanical Engineering or a related field.

If you enjoy physics and want to be more hands-on in your career, you may want to consider a Master's or PhD program in a specialized area such as experimental or applied mechanics. These programs often involve conducting research and working with physical systems to solve real-world problems.

There are many resources available to help you explore your options for graduate school. The website of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) has a section dedicated to graduate education, which includes a searchable database of graduate programs in mechanical engineering. You can also reach out to your professors, mentors, and professionals in the field for advice and recommendations on graduate programs that align with your interests and goals.

1. What are the different types of graduate degrees available in Mechanical Engineering?

There are typically three types of graduate degrees available in Mechanical Engineering: Master of Science (MS), Master of Engineering (MEng), and Doctor of Philosophy (PhD). The MS degree is research-oriented and requires a thesis, while the MEng degree is more coursework-based. The PhD is the highest level of degree and involves extensive research and a dissertation.

2. What are the admission requirements for graduate programs in Mechanical Engineering?

The admission requirements vary by university, but typically include a bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering or a related field, letters of recommendation, a statement of purpose, and GRE scores. Some programs may also require a minimum GPA and relevant work experience.

3. Are there any specialized areas of study within Mechanical Engineering at the graduate level?

Yes, there are many specialized areas of study within Mechanical Engineering at the graduate level, such as aerospace engineering, automotive engineering, biomechanical engineering, energy systems, and materials science. It is important to research the faculty and research opportunities at each university to find a program that aligns with your interests.

4. What is the average length of a graduate program in Mechanical Engineering?

The average length of a graduate program in Mechanical Engineering is 2-3 years for a Master's degree and 4-5 years for a PhD. However, this can vary depending on the individual's course load, research progress, and thesis or dissertation completion.

5. What career opportunities are available for graduates with a degree in Mechanical Engineering?

Graduates with a degree in Mechanical Engineering have a wide range of career opportunities in various industries such as automotive, aerospace, energy, manufacturing, and biomedical. Some popular job titles include design engineer, research and development engineer, project manager, and quality control engineer. Many graduates also pursue careers in academia or research institutions.