What are P and Pa in Gage Pressure vs Pa and P?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter evotunedscc
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Pressure
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 11K views
evotunedscc
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Currently I'm in Fluid Mechanics. In a homework problem I'm given the gage pressure inside of a piezometer. In my book there's an equation p(gage) = p - pa . What are the P and the Pa?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
evotunedscc said:
Currently I'm in Fluid Mechanics. In a homework problem I'm given the gage pressure inside of a piezometer. In my book there's an equation p(gage) = p - pa . What are the P and the Pa?

Gage pressure is simply the pressure reading if you exclude atmospheric pressure

in your equation, the gage pressure equals the absolute pressure minus the atmospheric pressure.

atmospheric is usually given around 101 kPa (kilo pascals)