What are some helpful tips and resources for aspiring science fiction writers?

• Thread starter Spiralbound
  • Start date
In summary, aspiring science fiction writers can benefit from tips and resources such as attending workshops and conferences, studying the works of accomplished authors, and joining writing communities. It is also important to engage in critical thinking and research, develop a strong understanding of technology and science, and constantly explore new ideas and concepts. Utilizing online resources, such as writing prompts and forums, can also aid in honing writing skills and building a network of fellow writers. Additionally, seeking feedback and continuously revising work are key components in improving as a science fiction writer.
Spiralbound
Hi All,

I'm a Newfoundlander living a long way from home. I've been a casual writer for many decades now and I've only recently reached a point in my life where I have the time and confidence to chase my dream of being a published author, preferably in the science fiction genre. My leanings are towards keeping the science at least plausible, so I've been collecting reference links like mad for months now while writing various little stories unfit for showing anyone, but useful for practising my writing. Soon though I'll kick one of my stories out into the cold cruel world and I'm glad I found this site. I've noted the members are quite helpful, so I'm looking forward to learning and possibly even contributing to the occasional conversation.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Spiralbound. :welcome:

That's an upward spiral, I hope! :smile:

Thanks for the welcome. Upward and outward of course! The moniker dates back to my early days online, (Anyone else remember Telnet, Gopher, Archie, and the rest of the command line gang?) when everyone had handles from their BBS days. Mine was an oblique reference to the DNA helix as well as to my (then) ever-present spiralbound notebooks. I've been using it so long now it's as much my personal name online as "Adam" is in person. I don't even think of it as a pseudonym any more! :-)