What are some of the best sad songs you know?

  • Thread starter Thread starter micromass
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
106 replies · 18K views
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Messages
22,170
Reaction score
3,335
What are some sad songs??

I really like sad songs. Songs that either sound sad or which have lyrics that are sad, depressing or twisted.

So, what are some of the nice sad songs that you know??
 
Physics news on Phys.org


For love





About a dog that drowns

 
Last edited by a moderator:


Bloodrock - A Fantastic Piece of Architecture - an interesting tune, out of Fort Worth no less



Jethro Tull- Look into the Sun


Harry Chapin - Taxi


Harry Chapin - Cat's In The Cradle
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Dan Fogelberg - Gypsy Wind



Moody Blues - Forever Autumn

 
Last edited by a moderator:


Gordon Lightfoot - If You Could Read My Mind ('74)
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Jefferson Airplane - Today



Coming back to me



Roy Orbison - Crying



Jay and the Americans - She cried

 
Last edited by a moderator:


Dave Mason-We Just Disagree


Chicago - Wishing You Were Here
 
Last edited by a moderator:


The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald



Buffalo Springfield - 04 - Expecting To Fly



This song touches me so deeply.

BTW, I own most of the records for all of the songs I've posted.
 
Last edited by a moderator:


I Left Her Standing There.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uvKXEz2V3Q
 


Iron Maiden:
"Strange World"
"Remember Tomorrow"

Pink Floyd:
"Dogs"
"Pigs on the Wing"
"Goodbye Cruel World"
Well really anything by Pink Floyd (as you probably know)
 


Yesterday When I Was Young - Roy Clark


edit:
Just to add, this song was originally written and recorded by Charles Aznavour and Georges Garvarentz in 1961. I like both versions.
 
Last edited by a moderator:


And here's one that just sounds sad:
In Our Tears - Secret Garden
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Great song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvDQy53eldY
 


Sarah McLaughlin songs are also sad, Angel:


So, I loved most of the songs here that I listened to. Gloria Estefan sounds really sweet and this was first time I heard of her :approve:

P.S. And here's Marley and Me:
 
Last edited by a moderator:


What kind of sad? Acoustic sad? Beautiful sad? Just broke up sad?

I have so many songs, but I need a little more specification. :smile:
 


rootX said:
I love Mountain Goats but this might turn out to be your favorite one.

You son of a bi*ch! I can't believe you got me with that! I only clicked on it because I love the Mountain Goats (saw them live a few years back = awesome) and I was curious to see if the video you linked would be "No Children."
 


Kevin_Axion said:
Great song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvDQy53eldY

Wow.

Upon hearing the intro chorus, I did not see the whole white-dude-rapping thing coming. But man, he is awesome. Cinematography is awesome too. Not many white guys can pull this off, but he does it superbly.

Kevion Axiom: You should check out Sole if you have not already.
 


Saladsamurai said:
You son of a bi*ch! I can't believe you got me with that! I only clicked on it because I love the Mountain Goats (saw them live a few years back = awesome) and I was curious to see if the video you linked would be "No Children."


:smile: It was only and only for micro :biggrin:


I also really love Mountain Goats though! "I want to say I'm sorry for stuff I haven't done yet" is another of my favorites song!

But, I find this song more of a hope song than a sad song :blushing:
 
Last edited by a moderator:


rootX said:
:smile: It was only and only for micro :biggrin:


I also really love Mountain Goats though! "I want to say I'm sorry for stuff I haven't done yet" is another of my favorites song!

But, I find this song more of a hope song than a sad song :blushing:


Yeah, that's another great one. He was going through a divorce when he wrote that album, but when I saw him live, he said that they had since reconciled their marriage. So, you might be right about the 'hope' thing. :smile:
 
Last edited by a moderator:


The first song that made me sad was "Jamaica Farewell" by Harry Belafonte. I was far too young to understand it at the time, so I thought that he was referring to child abandonment. It's still a beautiful piece of music, though.
 


I really love this song right now, Skip James - Hard Time Killing Floor Blues

 
Last edited by a moderator:


Loren Booda said:
Bill Withers -- Ain't No Sunshine

Bill Withers is The King <3
 


Emerson Lake and Palmer, C'est la vie
 
Last edited by a moderator:


All of 69 loves songs by The Magnetic Fields.


Parades Go By - The Magnetic Fields




Book of love




I don't want to get over you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iqmd_t84O0A&feature=related


The Things We Did and Didn't Do

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOgxeuqsadk&feature=related


I Don't Believe in the Sun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L85cillM6ME&feature=related


the one you really love

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62KEbW3nox0&feature=related


All My Little Words

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOHsgse29vY&feature=related

And this is my song

crazy for you but not that crazy



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTHoM9uD6nc
 
Last edited by a moderator: