Songs you _Almost_ Really Like, but not Quite

• Thread starter WWGD
  • Start date
In summary, the song "Best Day of my Life" starts out great, but at some point there is a chorus that ruins it for me. I missed liking it by just this much (minuscule amount).
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Anyone else heard a song that you _almost_ like, but there is some aspect, which you may not be aware off, that prevents you from really liking the song? It happened to me with that song " Best Day of my Life"; it starts out great, and I really enjoy it, but at some point there is a chorus that ruins it for me. I missed liking it by just this much (minuscule amount).

Best Day of my Life:

Physics news on Phys.org
No, but I have songs I kinda, sort of like, except for that one part. You know, where they go, "Ah, ah, do dah, woah woah, yeah." Or something.

Likes kosovo dave and edward

Not a specific song, but I feel like I should probably like U2's recent stuff more.

There are tons of them, which I like until I can read or otherwise understand the lyrics. It strikes me as just plain lazy and ripping off the audience when the same lyrics are repeated over and over instead of having new ones for each verse. One blatant example is Wig Wham Bam by The Sweet. I love that song as something to listen to, but the same thing is repeated 3 times. Another type is ones in which the lyrics make absolutely no sense whatsoever no matter how you try to analyze them. An example of that is "Hammerhead" by the Eurythmics.

Likes edward
Danger said:
An example of that is "Hammerhead" by the Eurythmics.
I've never heard of this. And google lead nowhere. Eurythmics have a song called "Caveman Head," though. Is that what you meant?

I'm trying to listen to some current stuff to see if there's anything I might like, at least just little. I hate to be in the "kids today" category and possibly miss something good, at least "good" in the sense that I can actually listen to it all the way through. I did listen to this one all the way through, although the best parts (IMO) are the non musical parts.

BTW this genre is known as pop-rap or rap-pop, or possibly hip-pop or pop-hop or something else that can't be repeated in these forums.

Last edited:
zoobyshoe said:
I've never heard of this.
That might have been a mistake or joke made by a radio announcer. The only time that I heard it referred to by name was when it was introduced on a top-40 station. Looking it up, I see that the actual title is "Sweet Dreams". By the bye, it's also a prime example of the repetition category.

1) What makes a song fall into the category of "Songs you Almost Really Like, but not Quite"?

The term "Songs you Almost Really Like, but not Quite" is subjective and can vary from person to person. Generally, it refers to songs that have elements or qualities that the listener enjoys but ultimately falls short of being a favorite or highly favored song. This could be due to personal taste, production, lyrics, or other factors.

2) How do you determine if a song falls into this category?

As a scientist, I do not personally determine if a song falls into this category. However, music researchers and psychologists may use surveys and experiments to gather data on listeners' preferences and determine which songs fall into this category for a certain demographic. It ultimately depends on the criteria and methodology used by the researcher.

3) Are there certain genres or types of songs that are more likely to fall into this category?

Again, this can vary from person to person. However, there may be certain genres or types of songs that tend to have a higher percentage of listeners who consider them "Songs you Almost Really Like, but not Quite." This could be due to the complexity of the music, the experimental nature of the genre, or personal preferences.

4) Can a song move from this category to being a favorite over time?

Yes, it is possible for a song to move from the category of "Songs you Almost Really Like, but not Quite" to being a favorite over time. This can happen due to a change in personal taste, nostalgia, or a deeper appreciation for the song's lyrics or production. It is also possible for a song to move in the opposite direction and no longer be considered a favorite.

5) Is there a psychological reason for why some songs fall into this category?

There could be various psychological reasons for why some songs fall into the category of "Songs you Almost Really Like, but not Quite." For example, cognitive dissonance or conflicting emotions towards a song could cause it to not be completely favored. Additionally, personal biases and past experiences can also play a role in how a person perceives and categorizes a song.