1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What are some prerequisites to learning about quantum algorithms?

1. Sep 28, 2007 #1
    i'm very interested in quantum computing and i'd like to learn more about quantum algorithms (and the actual hardware portion if possible). I'm learning introductory quantum mechanics but I have a good grasp of computer science, complexity etc. Can anyone recommend me any books to learn more?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nielsen&Chang "Quantum Computation and Quantum Information" is a very good book. It covers both the basic physics and algorithms.

Quantum computing is a HUGE field which involves everything from very fundamental physics to CS (just like regular computing). However, if you are specifically interested in algorithms a CS or math background is probably more useful than an understanding of QM. As long as you do not have to worry about HOW to realize a quantum gate the rest is "only" CS and engineering (just as you do not need to understand semiconductor physics in order to understand how to use an AND gate in ordinary computing).

That said, the CS part of quantum computing is stil a very small field, mainly because there is no way to actually test most of the ideas since we don't yet have the hardware.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?