What are some recipes for avocado and lime soup?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ZapperZ
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Evo
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
303 replies · 32K views
Hope your infection goes away quick. :smile:
P.S. keep away from the food thread.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Evo, if I were in your shoes I think I would challenge myself to invent some yummy recipes for "Things to Eat When You're Not Allowed to Eat". All kinds of soups and purees and frappes and whips. Heck, with your culinary talents you could make a cookbook out of it, and sell it to the hospitals and dentists offices, They could send it home with patients.
 
wolram said:
Borch soup is good and adaptable, it can be made sweet or savory.

Yyyyummmmmmy! I LOVE Borscht. With a big blob of lovely sour creme... Ooooooo, YUM! :!) And, YO! SIS! YOU can eat THAT! :biggrin:
 
As usuall, most activity goes when I am asleep :frown:

Glad to hear all goes reasonably well :smile:
 
I think you need a whole recipe book for smoothies.

I had a cold avocado and lime soup at a restaurant not long ago. I wonder if you could find a recipe for something like that online. I wasn't sure if I'd like it, but decided to give it a try. It was so thick and filling, I thought I'd ruin my appetite for the main course, and the lime made it quite refreshing too (probably kept the avocado from turning brown as well). And I suspect it was probably quite high in calories and nutritious too. Just what you need when you can only eat little bits at a time anyway.
 
Math Is Hard said:
Evo, if I were in your shoes I think I would challenge myself to invent some yummy recipes for "Things to Eat When You're Not Allowed to Eat".

Two words for you: duck foam.

- Warren
 
chroot said:
Two words for you: duck foam.

- Warren

Google has failed me. :frown: What's duck foam?
 
Probably one of those new fangled things they are making that taste like food, but aren't. They are an "essence" made with things like agar and piped out of aerosol whip cream cans.

Some recipes just call for putting the liquid into a "foamer" with c02 cartridges.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_15338_,00.html
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
Probably one of those new fangled things they are making that taste like food, but aren't. They are an "essence" made with things like agar and piped out of aerosol whip cream cans.

Agar is what bacteria are grown on. People eat that stuff?
 
chroot said:
Two words for you: duck foam.

- Warren

hmm.. is it Duck Whip? Like Cool Whip, but duck flavored?
 
Moonbear said:
Agar is what bacteria are grown on. People eat that stuff?
It's a new "trend" in cooking, agar, gum arabic, liquid nitrogen. Lot's of nothing with a taste, costs a fortune too in overpriced restaurants.
 
http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=550114

http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/071702/fea_karin.shtml

http://recipes.wikia.com/wiki/Avocado_Lime_Soup_with_Crème_Fraiche_and_Roasted_Pimientos

I found a few versions of avocado and lime soup recipes. The one I had didn't have any "chunky" stuff in it, it was just a puree basically. So, maybe you can work from these to create something edible and safe for your healing stomach.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Moonbear said:
http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=550114

http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/071702/fea_karin.shtml

http://recipes.wikia.com/wiki/Avocado_Lime_Soup_with_Crème_Fraiche_and_Roasted_Pimientos

I found a few versions of avocado and lime soup recipes. The one I had didn't have any "chunky" stuff in it, it was just a puree basically. So, maybe you can work from these to create something edible and safe for your healing stomach.
I *love* avocado.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Evo, how about gazpacho, pureed to a fare-thee-well? You'll get nutrients, fiber, and something tasty to eat. You could make up a big batch and refrigerate it, taking out only 1/2 cup or so at a time, or whatever your stomach can handle comfortably. As long as the acid content is not too high (irritating sensitive tissues), it might help you keep comfortable.

If gazpacho is too acidic, maybe you could make a cold pureed soup out of cucumbers, yogurt (or maybe sour cream) etc. I'm sure Google would turn up something along these lines.
 
In Polish "to beat the foam" (not sure how it is in English - it is about beating whites for foam) means "to talk and talk without getting to any conclusions", any long discussion that is just a waste of time fits. That perfectly fits the idea of tasty foam without a nutritional value.
 
turbo, howed you acquire such a knowledge of chilies, etc? I dub you an honorary New Mexican!
 
Well, I guess I can assume you're feeling better if you're talking about food... :smile:
 
binzing said:
turbo, howed you acquire such a knowledge of chilies, etc? I dub you an honorary New Mexican!
I love chilies and have experimented with them and cooked with them for many years. The last few seasons, I have been able to grow my own and not have to rely on the (often crappy) peppers from stores. My home-grown habaneros are light-years ahead of the store-bought stuff. I can just hear Evo's stomach howling in pain right now thinking of my habanero relishes - perhaps she'll be driven to the food thread out of desperation. :devil:
 
Tsu said:
Well, I guess I can assume you're feeling better if you're talking about food... :smile:
Last night Alton Brown was making a pie and I got a craving for pie. I crave sweets maybe once a decade. Of course, nothing sweet in the house.
 
Evo said:
Last night Alton Brown was making a pie and I got a craving for pie. I crave sweets maybe once a decade. Of course, nothing sweet in the house.

not even honey?
 
Evo said:
Of course, nothing sweet in the house.

Take a glance at the mirror o:)
 
Borek said:
Take a glance at the mirror o:)
Awww, shucks.

Usually I'm called bitter and crabby. :biggrin:
 
Should make a visit out here some day. You could check out Hatch, chili capital of the Southwest.
 
This has absolutely nothing to do with anything said here, but all this talk of chilli's and going to the loo just made me remember something.

I worked on a salmon farm up in Scotland and quite often, when lifting the nets out of the water, there'd be jellies (jelly fish) wrapped around the rope so we all wore gloves to avoid the stings, except for one old codger who had hands like leather and to whom the jellies meant nothing since he couldn't feel the stings on his hands.

To cut a long story short, some of the stinging cells must've remained on his hands after one such a lift and, let's just say that he promptly discovered that the skin on his willy wasn't as tough as the skin on his hands after going to the toilet.

You should've heard him...That day, I laughed til I cried :biggrin:
 
scientiavore said:
Good luck!
Thank you!
 
phyzmatix said:
. . . one old codger who had hands like leather and to whom the jellies meant nothing . . .

I thought you were going to say you got stung by shaking his hand later, but what actually transpired is a much better story. :eek: