What are the average speeds and velocities of two hikers taking different paths?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 4K views
blinkeaf182
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I had to miss class today because of a meeting I had with college counselors... please help

Hiker (2) is 1000 meters east of hiker (1) when they leave their base camps (@ the same time). Hiker (1) takes the following path: 200 m N, 300 m 30 degrees N of E, 400 m E, 600 m 40 degrees S of W, 200 m S. Hiker (2) takes the following path: 300 m E, 300 m 40 degrees W of S, 200 m S, 600 m W, 300 m 20 degrees E of N. Both hikers walked 17 min.

a. what is each hikers avg. speed
b. what is the magnitude of each hikers velocity?






i would more care to have the process explained then to actually know the answer

thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What do you know about the definition of average speed? Also what do you know about the magnitude of a velocity?
 
Kurdt asked if you knew the definition of average speed: it is the distance walked divided by the time taken. Average velocity is the vector dispacement divided by the time taken. Nowhere in your problem is anything said about time. You cannot find speed or velocity with the information given.
 
blinkeaf182 said:
I had to miss class today because of a meeting I had with college counselors... please help

Hiker (2) is 1000 meters east of hiker (1) when they leave their base camps (@ the same time). Hiker (1) takes the following path: 200 m N, 300 m 30 degrees N of E, 400 m E, 600 m 40 degrees S of W, 200 m S. Hiker (2) takes the following path: 300 m E, 300 m 40 degrees W of S, 200 m S, 600 m W, 300 m 20 degrees E of N. Both hikers walked 17 min.

thanks!
There is a mention a time :confused: Both hikers took 17 minutes. I'll let you off this time Hallsofivy :wink:
 
Kurdt said:
There is a mention a time :confused: Both hikers took 17 minutes. I'll let you off this time Hallsofivy :wink:
Nah - don't let him off that lightly :-p :wink: