What are the average speeds and velocities of two hikers taking different paths?

In summary, two hikers took different paths and walked for 17 minutes, but there is not enough information to determine their average speed or the magnitude of their velocity.
blinkeaf182
I had to miss class today because of a meeting I had with college counselors... please help

Hiker (2) is 1000 meters east of hiker (1) when they leave their base camps (@ the same time). Hiker (1) takes the following path: 200 m N, 300 m 30 degrees N of E, 400 m E, 600 m 40 degrees S of W, 200 m S. Hiker (2) takes the following path: 300 m E, 300 m 40 degrees W of S, 200 m S, 600 m W, 300 m 20 degrees E of N. Both hikers walked 17 min.

a. what is each hikers avg. speed
b. what is the magnitude of each hikers velocity?

i would more care to have the process explained then to actually know the answer

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you know about the definition of average speed? Also what do you know about the magnitude of a velocity?

Sketch the paths of the hikers out.

Kurdt asked if you knew the definition of average speed: it is the distance walked divided by the time taken. Average velocity is the vector dispacement divided by the time taken. Nowhere in your problem is anything said about time. You cannot find speed or velocity with the information given.

blinkeaf182 said:
I had to miss class today because of a meeting I had with college counselors... please help

Hiker (2) is 1000 meters east of hiker (1) when they leave their base camps (@ the same time). Hiker (1) takes the following path: 200 m N, 300 m 30 degrees N of E, 400 m E, 600 m 40 degrees S of W, 200 m S. Hiker (2) takes the following path: 300 m E, 300 m 40 degrees W of S, 200 m S, 600 m W, 300 m 20 degrees E of N. Both hikers walked 17 min.

thanks!
There is a mention a time :confused: Both hikers took 17 minutes. I'll let you off this time Hallsofivy :wink:

Kurdt said:
There is a mention a time :confused: Both hikers took 17 minutes. I'll let you off this time Hallsofivy :wink:
Nah - don't let him off that lightly :tongue: :wink:

1. What is conceptual physics?

Conceptual physics is the branch of physics that focuses on understanding and explaining the fundamental principles and concepts of the physical world. It is less concerned with mathematical equations and more focused on developing a conceptual understanding of how the world works.

2. How is conceptual physics different from traditional physics?

Traditional physics relies heavily on mathematical equations to describe and predict physical phenomena, while conceptual physics focuses on developing a conceptual understanding of the underlying principles and relationships between different concepts.

3. What are some real-world applications of conceptual physics?

Conceptual physics has a wide range of applications in everyday life, such as understanding the behavior of objects in motion, the principles behind electricity and magnetism, and the properties of light and sound. It also has practical applications in fields like engineering, technology, and medicine.

4. Is it necessary to have a strong math background to understand conceptual physics?

While having a strong math background can certainly be helpful in understanding the underlying principles of conceptual physics, it is not a prerequisite. Conceptual physics is focused on developing a conceptual understanding, so as long as one has a basic understanding of mathematical concepts, they can still grasp the concepts of conceptual physics.

5. How can conceptual physics be applied to everyday life?

Conceptual physics can be applied to everyday life in various ways, such as understanding the principles behind simple machines, the behavior of gases and fluids, and the properties of light and sound. It can also help us make informed decisions about technology and how to use it safely and effectively.