How Do You Calculate Average Velocity and Relative Air Velocity?

In summary, the average velocity of a car moving clockwise one quarter of a circle with a radius of 30 m in 15 seconds at a constant speed is 3.14 m/s. However, none of the answer choices match this velocity and it is unclear how to determine the direction. For the second conversation, to find the velocity of the air with respect to the ground, it is necessary to break down the jet's velocity into its components and then compare it to the velocity with respect to the air. However, it seems the calculation may have been done incorrectly as the final answer does not match any of the answer choices. It is important to make sure to only take differences of speeds in the same direction when calculating velocity.
nando94
1. A car with an initial direction of north moves clockwise one quarter a circle of radius 30 m in 15 s at a constant speed. What is the average velocity?

a) 1 m/s north
b) 1.41 m/s northeast
c) 1.57 m/s southwest
d) 2.83 m/s northeast

displacement/total time = avg velocity

15pi/15s = pi = 3.14 m/s

but none of the answer choice are 3.14 m/s. also how do you find the direction?

2. The velocity of a jet with respect to the ground is 200 m/s at an angle of 30 degrees north of east. The velocity of the jet with respect to the air is 150 m/s at an angle of 60 degrees north of east. What is the velocity of the air with respect to the ground?

a) 102 m/s 17 degrees south of east
b) 134 m/s 49 degrees south of east
c) 134 m/s at 17 degrees north of east
d) 203 m/s at 65 degrees north of east
e) 112 m/s at 50 degrees north of east

I the jets velocity into its components and got vy = 100 and vx = 173. Then with respect to the air vy = 130 vx = 75.

Then i took the sqrt of (173 - 130)^2 + (100 - 75) ^ to get 103 m/s but I think I am doing something wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
nando94 said:
displacement/total time = avg velocity

15pi/15s = pi = 3.14 m/s

but none of the answer choice are 3.14 m/s. also how do you find the direction?
Velocity is a vector. It's the change in the position vector divided by the time.
What is the change in the position vector?
2. The velocity of a jet with respect to the ground is 200 m/s at an angle of 30 degrees north of east. The velocity of the jet with respect to the air is 150 m/s at an angle of 60 degrees north of east. What is the velocity of the air with respect to the ground?

a) 102 m/s 17 degrees south of east
b) 134 m/s 49 degrees south of east
c) 134 m/s at 17 degrees north of east
d) 203 m/s at 65 degrees north of east
e) 112 m/s at 50 degrees north of east

I the jets velocity into its components and got vy = 100 and vx = 173. Then with respect to the air vy = 130 vx = 75.

Then i took the sqrt of (173 - 130)^2 + (100 - 75) ^ to get 103 m/s but I think I am doing something wrong.
Yes, you're mixing up the vx's with the vy's. Try again, making sure you only take differences of speeds in the same direction.

Related to How Do You Calculate Average Velocity and Relative Air Velocity?

What are vectors?

Vectors are mathematical quantities that have both magnitude and direction. They are often represented by arrows in diagrams, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the direction of the arrow indicating the direction.

How do I calculate the average velocity of an object?

To calculate the average velocity of an object, you need to divide the total displacement (change in position) by the total time taken. The formula for average velocity is: average velocity = (final position - initial position) / total time taken.

What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a measure of how fast an object is moving in a specific direction. In other words, velocity takes into account both the speed and direction of an object's motion, while speed only looks at the magnitude of the motion.

How do I represent vectors in two or three dimensions?

In two dimensions, vectors are typically represented by arrows on a coordinate plane. The length of the arrow represents the magnitude, and the direction of the arrow represents the direction. In three dimensions, vectors can be represented by arrows in 3D space, or by using coordinates (x, y, z) to indicate the direction and magnitude.

How can I use vectors to calculate displacement and distance?

Vectors can be used to calculate displacement and distance by using the Pythagorean theorem. Displacement is the shortest distance between two points, and can be found by adding the x and y components of the vector. Distance is the total length of the path traveled, and can be found by adding the magnitudes of all the vectors in the path.