What are the biomechanics of a barbell bench press?

In summary, the person is interested in the mechanical analysis of different exercises, specifically the bench press. They can understand the mechanics of a dumbbell bench press, but struggle with the barbell bench press, particularly the movement of the elbow. They are looking for help understanding the forces and torques involved in this exercise.
Hønter
Since I train powerlifting I have started to get interested in the mechanical analysis of the different exercises. But the bench press I haven't been able to figure out. When I am considering a dumbbell bench press the mechanics seems simple, but when I consider a barbell bench press it becomes difficult. When the hand is fixed to the barbell, I can't figure out what happens at the elbow. So can someone please help me figure this out. If you could use the figure or make your one figure and explain the forces and torques involved i would appreciate it.

Attachments

• benchpress.JPG
    benchpress.JPG
    4.8 KB · Views: 498
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm not exactly sure what you're asking, the elbow (B) moves up and towards the center (i.e. moves towards the line connection A and C).

When you start from horizontal: the lever-arm is just A-B, which is being torqued. That becomes transferred via B-C to lift the bar. This is probably a good approximation throughout the motion, but technically I think it gets a little more complicated as your start to raise your elbows.

Does any of that help with your question?

zhermes said:
This is probably a good approximation throughout the motion, but technically I think it gets a little more complicated as your start to raise your elbows.

That is exactly when I don't understand things. If you consider the situation with dumbbells, the torque at the shoulder is the force from the bar (F) times the horisontal distance between A and C. The same for the torque at the elbow which is the F times the horisontal distance between B and C. But when the hand is fixed to the barbell things get changed.

Related to What are the biomechanics of a barbell bench press?

What is biomechanics bench press?

Biomechanics bench press is a scientific study that involves analyzing the movement patterns, forces, and mechanics involved in performing a bench press exercise. It aims to understand how different factors such as body position, muscle activation, and equipment affect the performance and safety of the exercise.

How does body position affect biomechanics bench press?

Body position plays a crucial role in biomechanics bench press. It determines the range of motion, muscle activation, and joint angles during the exercise. For example, a wider grip on the barbell can increase the range of motion and activate the chest muscles more, while a narrower grip can target the triceps.

What are the common mistakes in biomechanics bench press?

Some common mistakes in biomechanics bench press include using too much weight, arching the back excessively, and not keeping the elbows close to the body. These mistakes can put unnecessary stress on the joints and increase the risk of injury. It is important to maintain proper form and gradually increase weight to avoid these mistakes.

How can biomechanics bench press be beneficial for athletes?

Biomechanics bench press can be beneficial for athletes as it helps them understand the most efficient and safe way to perform the exercise. By analyzing their body mechanics, they can make necessary adjustments to optimize their performance and reduce the risk of injury. It also allows them to target specific muscles and improve their overall strength and power.

How can biomechanics bench press be used in rehabilitation?

Biomechanics bench press can be used in rehabilitation to help individuals recover from injuries or surgeries. By analyzing their movement patterns and identifying any imbalances or weaknesses, a customized bench press program can be created to target those areas and improve overall function and strength. It can also be used to track progress and ensure safe and proper form during the rehabilitation process.