What are the conditions of a ideal Stefan-Boltzmann gas?

In summary, the Stefan Boltzmann gas is an ideal gas that requires weak interactions for existence. The mass of the particles is not important, as long as they are moving relativistically.
florian
Does anybody know the conditions of a ideal Stefan Boltzmann gas? And the EoS?
thanks a lot
florian

Physics news on Phys.org
weakly interacting or non-interacting particles are required for the ideal gas. The equation of state for an ideal gas is the ideal gas law:

[tex]P=\rho k T[/tex]

I found something like
p = [tex]\epsilon/3[/tex]
[tex]\epsilon = \pi^2gT^4[/tex]/30
... is this compatible to your equation?
... is the Stefan-Boltzmann gas the normal ideal gas, or is there an additional condition?
... what is with the mass of the particles? is there any condition to them?
thanks for the responds
regards
florian

If you mean a relativistic gas such as photons, which always travel at the speed of light, then you are on the right track.

[tex] P = \frac{1}{3}\epsilon[/tex]
where the energy density is [tex]\epsilon[/tex]. This is the "Equation of state" for a relativistic gas.

and the energy density is [tex]\epsilon=aT^{4}[/tex] where a is called the radiation constant [tex]a=\frac{4\sigma}{c}[/tex].

The mass could, I suppose be anything, as long as the particles are moving relativistically, although the most common thing we talk about are photons, which are of course massless.
I've personally never heard the term Stephan-Boltzman gas, there is the Stephan-Boltzman law though. I think you are talking about a relativistic gas?

yes i think so too :-)... and which are the conditions? because it is still an ideal gas and not real:
1. I guess no interaction is a condition
2. probably the particles have to be massless...
but my problem is the following: In the books they use this approximation to describe a QGP (quark gluon plasma) or a gas of hadrons... and for both I can't see why the masses should be negligible... in the case of QGP there are the s quark with a mass of 300MeV (u and d are negligible) and in the case of hadrons (approximated as pion gas) I have a mass of 140MeV and the temperature is about 160MeV...
regards
florain

As T > Mass, the particles are certainly relativistic, even if they have mass. Massless particles are just guaranteed to be relativistic. Weak interactions are needed for the ideal gas, probably why the QGP is now thought of more as a fluid than an ideal gas. Dunno, anyone else know more about this?

1. What is the Stefan-Boltzmann law?

The Stefan-Boltzmann law is a physical law that describes the relationship between the temperature and total radiation emitted by a blackbody. It states that the total energy radiated per unit surface area of a blackbody is directly proportional to the fourth power of its absolute temperature.

2. What is an ideal Stefan-Boltzmann gas?

An ideal Stefan-Boltzmann gas is a theoretical model of a gas that obeys the Stefan-Boltzmann law. It assumes that the gas particles have no interactions with each other and that they emit and absorb radiation as perfect blackbodies.

3. What are the conditions for an ideal Stefan-Boltzmann gas?

The conditions for an ideal Stefan-Boltzmann gas include the absence of interactions between gas particles, the assumption that the gas is composed of perfect blackbodies, and the use of the Stefan-Boltzmann law to describe the gas's radiation emission and absorption.

4. How does an ideal Stefan-Boltzmann gas behave at different temperatures?

An ideal Stefan-Boltzmann gas behaves according to the Stefan-Boltzmann law at all temperatures. As the temperature increases, the gas emits more radiation per unit surface area, and as the temperature decreases, the gas emits less radiation per unit surface area.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Stefan-Boltzmann law?

The Stefan-Boltzmann law has various applications in fields such as astrophysics, atmospheric science, and engineering. It is used to calculate the energy output of stars, to study the Earth's climate and energy balance, and to design and optimize thermal systems such as solar panels and heat engines.