What Are the Domains of Definition for These Complex Functions?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
DEMJ
Messages
43
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Describe the domain of definition that is understood for each of the functions:

(a) [tex]f(z) = \frac{1}{1 - |z|^2}[/tex]

(b) [tex]f(z) = \frac{z}{z + \bar{z}}[/tex]

(c) [tex]f(z) = Arg(\frac{1}{z})[/tex]

(d) [tex]f(z) = \frac{1}{z^2+1}[/tex]

Homework Equations



A function f defined on S is a rule that assigns to each z in S a complex number w. The number w is called the value of f at z and is denoted by f(z); that is w = f(z). The set S is called the domain of definition of f.

The Attempt at a Solution


I really do not know how I should approach the problem. Since it is an odd problem the book has only this listed as answers (b) [tex]Rez \not= 0[/tex] (d) [tex]z \not= \pm i[/tex]

I understand that for (b) and (d) that these values will make the denominator = 0. What I do not understand is what I should be describing in (a) and (c). Is it really that simple of a question where you just describe only where the functions are undefined? Anyone care give me any suggestions on where to even start thinking? because I am really struggling on this problem that should be easy since it's the first one of the 2nd chapter.
 
Physics news on Phys.org