What are the effects of Gravitomagnetism?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Vorde
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Effects
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Vorde
Messages
786
Reaction score
0
I have been trying to understand what the effects of Gravitomagnetism are, I've looked at the equations, but my mathematical knowledge isn't high enough to be able to draw anything conclusive from them directly.

I've heard it both described as causing an attractive force (a la Magnetism), and I've also heard it described that when an object rotates, it causes objects around it to rotate as well.

Now to me it seems like those two things are not directly compatible, so if someone could clarify to me what it's exactly effects are it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you can just consider the magnetic equations from Maxwell's equations, and that the situation is extremely analogous, including the "lorentz force law" for gravity.
[tex] \vec{\nabla}\times \vec{B}_g =-\vec{j}_g + \frac{\partial \vec{E}_{g}}{\partial t}[/tex]
[tex] \vec{\nabla}\cdot \vec{B}_g=0[/tex]
[tex] \vec{F}_g=m(\vec{E}_g+\vec{v}\times \vec{B}_g)[/tex]