What are the existence of solutions to Maxwell's equations?

• Thread starter timeant
  • Start date
timeant
Are there any references?

Answers and Replies

vanhees71
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2022 Award
A. Sommerfeld, Lectures of Theoretical Physics, vol. 3

timeant
Thank @ vanhees71 . However , I don't find the existence conditions, only found uniqueness .
Electrodynamics. Lectures on Theoretical Physics, Vol. 3 by Arnold Sommerfeld

timeant
Thank all replies :) @DrClaude @vanhees71
We all know that charge conservation is one of necessary conditions for the existence of Maxwell equations!
I want to know: is charge conservation one of sufficient conditions for the existence of Maxwell equations?

vanhees71
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2022 Award
Together with reasonable boundary conditions of course. I guess, there is rigorous math literature on this subject. Usually the Cauchy problem of all kinds of partial-differential systems occurring in physics is an interesting topic for mathematical physicists. Particularly famous is the question about existence and uniqueness for General Relativity.

timeant
Together with reasonable boundary conditions of course. I guess, there is rigorous math literature on this subject. Usually the Cauchy problem of all kinds of partial-differential systems occurring in physics is an interesting topic for mathematical physicists. Particularly famous is the question about existence and uniqueness for General Relativity.

rigorous math literature ? Really ?
By bing.com, I cannot find the existene of field equations.
For electromagnetic field, is the charge conservation (##\partial_\alpha J^\alpha=0##) one of sufficient conditions for the existence of Maxwell equations?
For gravitational field, is the soure's conservation (##\nabla_\alpha T^{\alpha\beta}=0##) one of sufficient conditions for the existence of Einstein field equations?

As an analogy, for ##\nabla\cdot \mathbf{u}=\rho, \nabla\times \mathbf{u}=\mathbf{S}##, is ##\nabla\cdot \mathbf{S}=0## one of sufficient conditions for the existence of div-curl system?

I think so! They are all sufficient conditions.

The EXISTENCE should be talked, e.g. http://www.claymath.org/millennium-problems/navier–stokes-equation

Last edited:
vanhees71
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2022 Award
Charge conservation is a necessary condition for the consistency of the Maxwell equations. It's a Bianchi identity of gauge symmetry. For the gravitational field the energy-momentum tensor, which is necessarily symmetric, as a source is necessarily locally conserved. The correct equation is ##\nabla_{\mu} T^{\mu \nu}=0##, i.e., you must use the covariant derivative of the tensor-field components. This is again the consequence of a Bianchi symmetry of gauge symmetry of GR (general covariance).

timeant
For single div--curl system, i.e. div u = f, curl u = B, theorem 3.3 in this paper (
Junichi Aramaki, L^p Theory for the div-curl System, Int. Journal of Math. Analysis, Vol. 8, 2014, no. 6, 259 - 271. http://dx.doi.org/10.12988/ijma.2014.4112 ) says that : div B =0 is one of sufficient conditions of existence.

Maxwell equations are double div--curl systems. I think that the charge continuity equation is also one of sufficient conditions of existence.

Suggested for: What are the existence of solutions to Maxwell's equations?

Replies
Views
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
  • Last Post