What are the existence of solutions to Maxwell's equations?

In summary, the conversation discusses the existence conditions for Maxwell equations and the role of charge conservation and energy-momentum tensor conservation in their consistency. It also mentions the existence of rigorous mathematical literature on this subject and the relevance of the Cauchy problem in physics. The conversation also makes an analogy to the div-curl system and discusses a theorem regarding its existence conditions.
timeant
Are there any references?

Physics news on Phys.org
A. Sommerfeld, Lectures of Theoretical Physics, vol. 3

Thank @ vanhees71 . However , I don't find the existence conditions, only found uniqueness .
Electrodynamics. Lectures on Theoretical Physics, Vol. 3 by Arnold Sommerfeld

Thank all replies :) @DrClaude @vanhees71
We all know that charge conservation is one of necessary conditions for the existence of Maxwell equations!
I want to know: is charge conservation one of sufficient conditions for the existence of Maxwell equations?

Together with reasonable boundary conditions of course. I guess, there is rigorous math literature on this subject. Usually the Cauchy problem of all kinds of partial-differential systems occurring in physics is an interesting topic for mathematical physicists. Particularly famous is the question about existence and uniqueness for General Relativity.

vanhees71 said:
Together with reasonable boundary conditions of course. I guess, there is rigorous math literature on this subject. Usually the Cauchy problem of all kinds of partial-differential systems occurring in physics is an interesting topic for mathematical physicists. Particularly famous is the question about existence and uniqueness for General Relativity.

rigorous math literature ? Really ?
By bing.com, I cannot find the existene of field equations.
For electromagnetic field, is the charge conservation (##\partial_\alpha J^\alpha=0##) one of sufficient conditions for the existence of Maxwell equations?
For gravitational field, is the soure's conservation (##\nabla_\alpha T^{\alpha\beta}=0##) one of sufficient conditions for the existence of Einstein field equations?

As an analogy, for ##\nabla\cdot \mathbf{u}=\rho, \nabla\times \mathbf{u}=\mathbf{S}##, is ##\nabla\cdot \mathbf{S}=0## one of sufficient conditions for the existence of div-curl system?

I think so! They are all sufficient conditions.

The EXISTENCE should be talked, e.g. http://www.claymath.org/millennium-problems/navier–stokes-equation

Last edited:
Charge conservation is a necessary condition for the consistency of the Maxwell equations. It's a Bianchi identity of gauge symmetry. For the gravitational field the energy-momentum tensor, which is necessarily symmetric, as a source is necessarily locally conserved. The correct equation is ##\nabla_{\mu} T^{\mu \nu}=0##, i.e., you must use the covariant derivative of the tensor-field components. This is again the consequence of a Bianchi symmetry of gauge symmetry of GR (general covariance).

For single div--curl system, i.e. div u = f, curl u = B, theorem 3.3 in this paper (
Junichi Aramaki, L^p Theory for the div-curl System, Int. Journal of Math. Analysis, Vol. 8, 2014, no. 6, 259 - 271. http://dx.doi.org/10.12988/ijma.2014.4112 ) says that : div B =0 is one of sufficient conditions of existence.

Maxwell equations are double div--curl systems. I think that the charge continuity equation is also one of sufficient conditions of existence.

1. What are Maxwell's equations?

Maxwell's equations are a set of four fundamental equations that describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields in space. They were developed by James Clerk Maxwell in the 19th century and are essential for understanding the principles of electromagnetism.

2. Why are Maxwell's equations important?

Maxwell's equations are important because they provide a mathematical framework for understanding and predicting the behavior of electromagnetic waves and fields. They are the basis for many modern technologies, such as radio, television, and cell phones.

3. Do Maxwell's equations have solutions?

Yes, Maxwell's equations have solutions. In fact, they have an infinite number of solutions, which correspond to different possible configurations of electric and magnetic fields in space. These solutions can be used to describe a wide range of electromagnetic phenomena.

4. How are Maxwell's equations used in scientific research?

Maxwell's equations are used in many areas of scientific research, including physics, engineering, and materials science. They are used to study and understand the behavior of electromagnetic fields, which is crucial for developing new technologies and advancing our understanding of the natural world.

5. Are there any unsolved problems related to Maxwell's equations?

Yes, there are still some unsolved problems related to Maxwell's equations. For example, the behavior of electromagnetic fields in extreme conditions, such as near black holes, is not fully understood. Scientists are also working to develop a unified theory that combines Maxwell's equations with other fundamental equations, such as Einstein's theory of relativity.