What are the main topics in Numerical Analysis?

In summary, Numerical Analysis is a subject that deals with the study and implementation of numerical methods to solve mathematical problems. It covers topics such as finding solutions to simultaneous equations, roots of functions, maximization tools, numerical solution of partial differential equations, numerical integration, Monte Carlo methods, and sampling. It also includes an emphasis on convergence, accuracy, and complexity of the algorithms involved. The course may cover topics such as error analysis, systems of linear equations, linear programming, interpolation, ordinary differential equations, numerical differentiation, approximation of functions, iterative methods, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, systems of nonlinear equations, boundary-value problems, and partial differential equations. Basic knowledge of calculus is necessary, as numerical methods are often used when exact solutions are
Jin314159
I'll be taking Numerical Analysis in the fall and I honestly have no idea what it's about. Can anyone tell me what the main topics in Numerical Analysis Are?

Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It probably refers to the study of methods to numerically solve math problems (I say "probably" because some times different universities emphasize different aspects of a course, and because I haven't looked too hard for a "stadard" definition).

The type of things that it may cover: methods for finding solutions to simultaneous equations, roots of functions, maximization tools, numerical solution of partial differential equations, numerical integration, Monte Carlo methods, sampling.

Sometimes people call all of this "numerical methods", and reserve the name "numerical analysis" for a course more focused on convergence, accuracy and complexity of the algorithms involved.

I haven't taken these courses since I'm more into pure math; here are the calendar entries though:
(part 1, sept-dec)
An introduction to selected topics in Numerical Analysis. Typical areas covered: error analysis, roots of equations, systems of linear equations, linear programming, interpolation, numerical integration, and ordinary differential equations.

(part 2, jan-apr)
An introduction to selected topics in Numerical Analysis. Typical areas covered: ordinary differential equations, numerical differentiation, approximation of functions, iterative methods for linear equations, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, systems of nonlinear equations, boundary-value problems and partial differential equations.

http://web.uvic.ca/calendar2004/CDs/CSC/349A.html
http://web.uvic.ca/calendar2004/CDs/CSC/349B.html

If you've done 1st-year calculus, you've already seen at least one numerical method I think. I remember rectangular, trapezoidal & Simpson's approximation of definite integrals. That's pretty much what 'numerical methods' is all about; once you've failed to find an exact solution (3.1415926535... vs. Pi) you use a numerical method to find a solution that's 'close enough' to be useful. Or maybe a numerical solution would be faster or easier to deal with than finding an exact solution. Anyway, that's what numerical methods do, as far as I know.

Much thanks to Fourier and Ahrkron. I looked at course description for the Numerical Analysis that I will be taking and this is what it says:

"Programming for numerical calculations, round-off error, approximation and interpolation, numerical quadrature, and solution of ordinary differential equations. Practice on the computer."

Sounds interesting.

While a large part of the course will be about learning and possibly "implementing" algorithms (the "easy" part), some of it will no doubt concern accuracy and stability of the methods.

Related to What are the main topics in Numerical Analysis?

1. What is numerical analysis?

Numerical analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the development and use of numerical methods to solve mathematical problems. It involves finding approximate solutions to mathematical equations that cannot be solved analytically.

2. What are some applications of numerical analysis?

Numerical analysis has a wide range of applications in various fields, including engineering, physics, economics, and computer science. It is used to solve problems such as optimization, interpolation, integration, and differential equations, among others.

3. What are the main techniques used in numerical analysis?

The main techniques used in numerical analysis include interpolation, approximation, numerical integration, numerical differentiation, and solving systems of linear and nonlinear equations. These techniques involve using algorithms and computer programs to find approximate solutions to mathematical problems.

4. How does numerical analysis differ from analytical methods?

Numerical analysis differs from analytical methods in that it focuses on finding approximate solutions to mathematical problems, while analytical methods aim to find exact solutions. Numerical analysis involves using computers and algorithms to solve problems, while analytical methods rely on mathematical equations and formulas.

5. What are the advantages of using numerical analysis?

Numerical analysis offers several advantages, including the ability to solve complex mathematical problems that cannot be solved analytically, the ability to handle large amounts of data, and the ability to provide approximate solutions quickly. It also allows for the testing and validation of theoretical results and provides a useful tool for decision making in various fields.