What are the most intense electromagnetic waves in nature?

In summary, the question is about the strongest naturally occurring electromagnetic waves, in terms of energy density or flux density. This excludes man-made sources like nuclear blasts and solar flares are too weak. The strongest candidates are likely to be found in outer space, such as supernovas, active galactic nuclei, and kilonovae. Super cell lightning has already been discounted as being too small in comparison.
andresB
Basically as the title says.
I'm interested in the naturally occurring EM waves, and I would like to know the strongest EM waves out there. I'm not talking about "strong" as in energy per photon that is proportional to the frequency, but about the overall energy transported by the wave that is proportional to the square of the electric field; so, I guess another way to state the question is: Which naturally occurring waves have the highest electric fields?

Physics news on Phys.org
I suppose the emission of the Big Bang, which is still traveling through space, contains the greatest energy.

andresB said:
I'm not talking about "strong" as in energy per photon that is proportional to the frequency, but about the overall energy transported by the wave that is proportional to the square of the electric field;
So we are not talking about very high energy gammas. Instead, we want a classical wave and we want to maximize flux density -- power per unit area at the receiving location.

Under that interpretation, the cosmic microwave background is too weak. How about lightning?

Or a magnetar up close.

Likes Asymptotic and QuantumQuest
I think the highest power flux density, or intensity, will be found with a Nuclear Electromagnetic Pulse.

Do you want to include outer space, or only on the ground? Solar flares which hit the Earth are disruptive to satellites. That seems to be the main worry in outer space. On the ground, lightning strikes probably present the strongest naturally occurring pulse.

Likes boB_K7IQ
jbriggs444 said:
So we are not talking about very high energy gammas. Instead, we want a classical wave and we want to maximize flux density -- power per unit area at the receiving location.

Indeed.

jbriggs444 said:
Or a magnetar up close.

I know that magnetars can have very high magnetic fields attached to the star. I'll check if I can find what kind of electromagnetic radiation they produce.

tech99 said:
I think the highest power flux density, or intensity, will be found with a Nuclear Electromagnetic Pulse.
in nature ?? :wink:

as per the thread title ...
What are the most intense electromagnetic waves in nature?

Solar flares tho they can be large would be miniscule compared to the jets coming out of the cores of galaxies

not sure which galaxy this one is ?
this second one is the Centaurus A radio Galaxy

Dave

Likes pinball1970, QuantumQuest, Klystron and 1 other person
Yes, in Nature I suppose a super nova?

look up

carrington event of september 1859

arydberg said:
look up

carrington event of september 1859
As has already been pointed out, solar flares are utterly trivial compared to the jets coming out of the cores of some galaxies

Likes davenn
phinds said:
As has already been pointed out, solar flares are utterly trivial compared to the jets coming out of the cores of some galaxies
It's still not clear to me whether the OP had in mind the strongest on the ground, in space around the Earth, or in the entire universe. I guess the answers are lightning, solar flares, and supernova, respectively.

FactChecker said:
It's still not clear to me whether the OP had in mind the strongest on the ground, in space around the Earth, or in the entire universe. I guess the answers are lightning, solar flares, and supernova, respectively.
The OP asked for "in nature" so excludes anything manmade ... nuclear blast ...
There's nothing on Earth or in it's atmosphere that would qualify.

As I said in an earlier post, solar flares are tiny ... lightning even smaller
You have to start thinking BIG ... as I suggested and posted images of huge jets of EM coming
out of the cores of some galaxies. These are detected and "imaged" with radio telescopes
( they are not optically visible). These jets are 10's of 1000's of lightyears long and are continuous.
They would even dwarf supernovas where most of the emission is material from the star.
( OK there is a strong emission of visible light for a short period)D

davenn said:
The OP asked for "in nature" so excludes anything manmade ... nuclear blast ...

Yes, indeed.

Not man-made Strongest EM wave in whatever place in the universe.

Likes davenn and FactChecker
davenn said:
As I said in an earlier post, solar flares are tiny ... lightning even smaller
You have to start thinking BIG ... as I suggested and posted images of huge jets of EM coming
out of the cores of some galaxies. These are detected and "imaged" with radio telescopes
( they are not optically visible). These jets are 10's of 1000's of lightyears long and are continuous.
They would even dwarf supernovas where most of the emission is material from the star.
( OK there is a strong emission of visible light for a short period)
D
Since the question is about energy density (or equivalently, EM field strength or as jbriggs444 said flux density), it doesn't seem that a non-visible radio source is the answer.

(To quote Yoda, "Size matters not.")

• Skeptical
Likes davenn
So what produces the energy from the core of a Galaxy? Do we Know?

happyhacker said:
So what produces the energy from the core of a Galaxy? Do we Know?
Active galactic nuclei are thought to be powered by the accretion of dust and gas onto the supermassive black hole at the galactic centre.

Likes vanhees71 and davenn
andresB said:
Basically as the title says.
I'm interested in the naturally occurring EM waves, and I would like to know the strongest EM waves out there. I'm not talking about "strong" as in energy per photon that is proportional to the frequency, but about the overall energy transported by the wave that is proportional to the square of the electric field; so, I guess another way to state the question is: Which naturally occurring waves have the highest electric fields?
I saw the answer to this on NOVA last week = Super Cell Lightning. Do google search for last weeks TV show and watch it.

gary350 said:
I saw the answer to this on NOVA last week = Super Cell Lightning. Do google search for last weeks TV show and watch it.
lightning has already been discounted earlier in the thread ... absolutely tiny compared to many of the huge EM producers out there in the universe :smile:

Likes vanhees71

1. What are electromagnetic waves?

Electromagnetic waves are a type of energy that travels through space in the form of oscillating electric and magnetic fields. They are produced by the acceleration of electrically charged particles and can travel through a vacuum.

2. How do electromagnetic waves differ in intensity?

The intensity of an electromagnetic wave is determined by its amplitude, or the height of the wave. The higher the amplitude, the more intense the wave. Additionally, the frequency of the wave also plays a role in its intensity, with higher frequencies being more intense.

3. What are the most intense electromagnetic waves in nature?

The most intense electromagnetic waves in nature are gamma rays. These are high frequency waves with short wavelengths and carry a lot of energy. They are produced by radioactive decay, nuclear explosions, and other high-energy processes in the universe.

4. How are electromagnetic waves used in everyday life?

Electromagnetic waves have a wide range of uses in everyday life. Radio waves are used for communication, microwaves are used for cooking, and infrared waves are used for heating. X-rays and gamma rays are used in medical imaging and treatments, and visible light is used for vision.

5. Can electromagnetic waves be harmful?

Yes, some electromagnetic waves can be harmful to living organisms. For example, high levels of exposure to ultraviolet and x-ray waves can cause damage to cells and tissues. However, most electromagnetic waves in nature are not harmful to humans in small doses.