What Are the Requirements for a Subset to Be Considered a Subspace?

In summary, a subspace is a subset of a vector space that satisfies all the conditions for a vector space, including being non-empty, closed under addition and scalar multiplication, and containing the zero vector. It is important to understand the definitions of a vector space and a subspace in order to correctly identify and define subspaces. It may be helpful to read an introductory text on linear algebra for a more in-depth understanding of these concepts.
Krovski
I'm having trouble conceptualizing exactly what a subspace is and how to identify subspaces from vector spaces.

I know that the definition of a subspace is:
A subset W of a vector space V over a field [itex]\textbf{F}[/itex] is a subspace if W is also a vector space over [itex]\textbf{F}[/itex] w/ the operations of vector addition and scalar multiplication.

So if I have to define a subspace of [itex]\textbf{R^3}[/itex], is it enough to show that the new vector, say W, exists in [itex]\textbf{R^3}[/itex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Krovski! :smile:
Krovski said:
A subset W of a vector space V over a field [itex]\textbf{F}[/itex] is a subspace if W is also a vector space over [itex]\textbf{F}[/itex] w/ the operations of vector addition and scalar multiplication.

So if I have to define a subspace of [itex]\textbf{R^3}[/itex], is it enough to show that the new vector, say W, exists in [itex]\textbf{R^3}[/itex]?

I don't understand your question :redface:

W is a space (a line or a plane), not a "new vector". :confused:

this is exactly why I need help understanding what a subspace is lol.

so would i then say I need to show that W is also a vector space?

and that it all its elements also belong in V?

or am I thinking of subsets?

W must be a subset of V,

which means that every element of W is in V

also, W must be closed under vector addition and scalar multiplication

ok thank you.

more precisely,

if W=(a1,a2,a3)
would W be a subspace of [itex]\textbf{R^3}[/itex]
if, say, we had one element a1=a2+2?

then W=(a2+2,a2,a3)

it technically isn't seen as c(a1,a2,a3) or even adding another vector in [itex]\textbf{R^3}[/itex]
so that this vector, we'll call, (b1,b2,b3) means
(a1+b1,a2+b2,a3+b3) =/= (a2+2,a2,a3)
and therefore W is not a subspace?

Krovski said:
if W=(a1,a2,a3)

you mean, if W is a point?

then W is not closed under scalar multiplication (unless W is (0,0,0))

(and I'm off to bed :zzz:)

tiny-tim said:
you mean, if W is a point?

then W is not closed under scalar multiplication (unless W is (0,0,0))

(and I'm off to bed :zzz:)

to clarify,
W=(a1,a2,a3)[itex]\epsilon[/itex] ℝ^3 (this set is a subspace in ℝ^3)

so would
W1=(a2+2,a2,a3) also be a subsace in ℝ^3? or does that violate the definition of a subspace with the a2+2 term?

Krovski said:
to clarify,
W=(a1,a2,a3)[itex]\epsilon[/itex] ℝ^3 (this set is a subspace in ℝ^3)

so would
W1=(a2+2,a2,a3) also be a subsace in ℝ^3? or does that violate the definition of a subspace with the a2+2 term?

You need to be careful how you write mathematical stuff. It seems to be you actually mean [tex]W:=\{(a_1,a_2,a_3)\in\mathbb{R}^3 \, / \,a_1=a_2+2\}[/tex]
Assuming this, then no: W is not a subspace as it doesn't contain the zero vector, which is a necessary condition to be a subspace.

DonAntonio

I recommend you read an introductory text on linear algebra. It would go over the basic definitions in much more detail that we can here.

If you already know what a vector space is then a "subspace" is a subset of a vector space that also satisfies all the conditions for a vector space. However, many of those conditions, such as "u+ v= v+ u" are true for any vectors in the vector space so don't need to be checked again. What you do need to check is that
1) the set is not empty.
2) the set is closed under addition: The sum of two vectors in the set is again in the set.
3) the set is closed under scalar multiplication: the product of any scalar (member of the underlying field) with a vector in the set is again in the set.

For [itex]\{(a_2+ 2, a_2, a_3)[/itex] we can note that (2, 0, 0) is in the set because [/itex]a_1= 2= 0+ 2= a_2+ 2[/itex] but the product of the scalar 3 and (2, 0, 0) is (6, 0, 0) which is NOT in that set: [itex]6\ne 0+ 2[/itex].

The condition Don Antonio refers to, that the 0 vector must be in the subset in order that it be a subspace, follows from the conditions above:
(1), that subset be non-empty, requires that some vector, v, be in the subset. (3), that the subset be closed under scalar multiplication, requires that (-1)v be in the set. (2), that the subset be closed under addtion, requires that v+ (-1)v= (1+ (-1))v= 0v= 0, the zero vector, be in the set.

HallsofIvy said:
I recommend you read an introductory text on linear algebra. It would go over the basic definitions in much more detail that we can here.

If you already know what a vector space is then a "subspace" is a subset of a vector space that also satisfies all the conditions for a vector space. However, many of those conditions, such as "u+ v= v+ u" are true for any vectors in the vector space so don't need to be checked again. What you do need to check is that
1) the set is not empty.
2) the set is closed under addition: The sum of two vectors in the set is again in the set.
3) the set is closed under scalar multiplication: the product of any scalar (member of the underlying field) with a vector in the set is again in the set.

For [itex]\{(a_2+ 2, a_2, a_3)[/itex] we can note that (2, 0, 0) is in the set because [itex]\{(a_2+ 2, a_2, a_3)[/itex] but the product of the scalar 3 and (2, 0, 0) is (6, 0, 0) which is NOT in that set: [itex]6\ne 0+ 2[/itex].

The condition Don Antonio refers to, that the 0 vector must be in the subset in order that it be a subspace, follows from the conditions above:
(1), that subset be non-empty, requires that some vector, v, be in the subset. (3), that the subset be closed under scalar multiplication, requires that (-1)v be in the set. (2), that the subset be closed under addtion, requires that v+ (-1)v= (1+ (-1))v= 0v= 0, the zero vector, be in the set.

Yes I have been trying to read this one text, but I'm definitely behind the power curve for this topic since I haven't had much experience or luck doing proofs. I have to think of everything graphically which can become hard to do when dealing in higher dimensions.

So, what I have seen from all of your posts, and thank you all very much, is that because of the (a[itex]_{2}[/itex]+2) term, the subset of W is not closed under scalar multiplication. If (a[itex]_{n}[/itex])=0 the vector W = (2,0,0) which is in the subset of W. BUT, this is where I'm a little lost, since (2,0,0) is in the subset of W that also means that it too should follow the rules of the subspace (i.e. closed under scalar multiplication, vector addition and non-emptiness) which is why 3(2,0,0) = (6,0,0) but that since [itex]\{(a_2+ 2, a_2, a_3)[/itex] we get the new term 6 but that doesn't follow the specifics of this subpace considering [itex]\{a_2+ 2 = a_1)[/itex] : meaning 6 is not 0+2.

So W is not closed under scalar multiplication.

Related to What Are the Requirements for a Subset to Be Considered a Subspace?

1. What is the definition of subspace?

A subspace is a subset of a vector space that contains all the elements and operations of that vector space. It satisfies the three properties of closure, addition, and scalar multiplication, making it a smaller vector space within the larger vector space.

2. How is a subspace different from a vector space?

A subspace is a subset of a vector space, so it contains all the elements and operations of that vector space. However, a subspace is usually smaller and can have different properties than the larger vector space. For example, a subspace may not contain all the possible vectors in a vector space, or it may have additional restrictions on its operations.

3. What is the importance of defining a subspace?

Defining a subspace allows for the study and analysis of a smaller, more manageable vector space within a larger vector space. This can help to simplify and better understand certain mathematical concepts and problems, as well as provide a framework for solving them.

4. How do you determine if a subset is a subspace?

To determine if a subset is a subspace, it must satisfy the three properties of closure, addition, and scalar multiplication. This means that the subset must contain all possible vectors that can be created by adding and multiplying the vectors in the subset, and the operations must remain within the subset.

5. Can a subset be both a subspace and a vector space?

Yes, a subset can be both a subspace and a vector space. This occurs when the subset contains all the elements and operations of the larger vector space, satisfying the properties of closure, addition, and scalar multiplication. In this case, the subset is considered a subspace of itself as well as a vector space.