What Are the Speeds of the Fragments from a Space Rocket Explosion?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 5K views
judas_priest
Messages
174
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A rocket ship parked at rest in space suddenly explodes into 3 pieces of equal mass traveling in the directions shown. If the piece traveling upward has a speed of 150 m/s, what are the speeds of the other two pieces?

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution


How do I conserve the momentum in this case? I'm clueless.
 
Attachments
  • Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    2 KB · Views: 797
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you mean conserve momentum.
Can you say anything about horizontal momentum?
 
judas_priest said:

Homework Statement


A rocket ship parked at rest in space suddenly explodes into 3 pieces of equal mass traveling in the directions shown. If the piece traveling upward has a speed of 150 m/s, what are the speeds of the other two pieces?


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


How do I conserve the momentum in this case? I'm clueless.

Write momentum equations for the three pieces in x and y. The assumption is that there is no z motion.