What are the units for flow area, flow rate, and velocity?

  • Thread starter Thread starter dvyu
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Flow
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
dvyu
Messages
34
Reaction score
0
area = flow/velocity
Is this correct? Also can anyone tell me what the units should be. Is it m^2, L/s and m/s?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It will really depend on what flow you are talking about. In physics, flow is synonymous with flux. If you are talking about a water flow you would want flow = area*velocity.

velocity of has units of Length/time
area has units of Length^2
so flow must be Length^3/time
 
Last edited:
Eeh, mindscrape:
Please make that / into a *
 
thanks - I just got a little confused - I thought I had it wrong for a minute there.
 
Err, whoops, I did mean to say times but disconnect between what I meant to say and what I was looking at. My bad.