1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What are the ups and downs of these two degrees

  1. May 3, 2015 #1
    I am looking to do something in the nuclear field. I can get a mechanical engineering and physics double major then get a masters in nuclear physics or nuclear engineering, or should I just get the physics degree and masters in Nuclear physics/engineering?

    I'm currently at a branch college where I can not pursue nuclear engineering BS, but main campus has ask the way through nuclear phd and I can't justify transfering in my BS.

    Thanks for any input
  2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2015 #2


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

    It really depends on the kind of "something" you want to do in nuclear. There are some jobs you'll only get with a PhD in nuclear physics, and some you'll only get with a degree in nuclear engineering, and some still you'll need a mechanical engineering/chemical engineering degree for, etc. etc.

    However, I doubt you need to make up your mind now. If you can get into the masters/PhD program of your choice with either a eng/physics double major or a physics degree, then the choice is a bit moot - pick whichever one interests you the most.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook