Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What are your desires/plans/goal for the upcoming year?

1. Dec 27, 2009 #1
    The beginning of a 'new' year seems to invite aspirations of 'doing' something.

It has been proved to some extent that writing down what goals a person has helps that person to plan more vigorously to achieve those goals.

Large or small, on a level of a personal nature, or more of a grand one, what do you want to happen in this new and upcoming year of 2010?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 27, 2009 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I came *this* close to losing my job earlier in the year (twice, in fact) and it made me realize that I've been too complacent about updating my marketable skills.

So I'll be taking some classes, beefing up my resume.

4. Dec 27, 2009 #3
    Since there is 52 weeks in a year, I plan to read 50 books. That's one book a week, or about 50 pages per day, or extra hour per day devoted to reading.

I usually come home tired, but I wish to squeeze this into my routine. And in addition log all the books read with notes/quotes in order to articulate them better.

5. Dec 27, 2009 #4
    I like this idea so much that maybe I'll borrow it. However, I will take this goal and cut it in half! One book every 2 weeks for me please :)

6. Dec 27, 2009 #5
    The cyclic parts of my life tend to be more dependent on the start of the academic year than the calendar year. So I'll be coming up with my goals in August.

7. Dec 27, 2009 #6

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

8. Dec 27, 2009 #7
    Mine are pretty much tied to the calendar year, so I'll be setting my goals in late December.

9. Dec 27, 2009 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Pay for Tsu's new ring.
    Adopt another 500 cats
    Figure out what new symptoms of old age present themselves
    Always know the location of the nearest restroom
    Torture Republicans with frequent Obama references
    Once again, run for Emperor of the World

10. Dec 27, 2009 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have some pretty hot business opportunities at hand with a major US company. My goal is to capitalize on these to the greatest extent possible. This may be the year that my retirement is set.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  11. Dec 27, 2009 #10
    Achieving a more balanced life, working more on setting life priorities and goals.

12. Dec 27, 2009 #11
    Any number of books is fine. The goal is to squeeze more reading into your routine. Don't have to cut back on recreation, or the things you enjoy the most. Reading little, but consistently, will accumulate considerably over the year. And in the book selection, I want to read a wide variety of books, fiction and non-fiction. There is so much interesting stuff out there.

13. Dec 27, 2009 #12
    To explore all of asia

14. Dec 27, 2009 #13

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wow, all of it?!?

I guess Greg's going to be gone for a while :eek:!

15. Dec 27, 2009 #14
    Pretty much, minus middle east, singapore, brunei and laos. I have three large trips mapped out. First trip to the southeast starts in a couple weeks.

16. Dec 28, 2009 #15

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In that case, I thinking we need a GregCam!

17. Jan 1, 2010 #16
    algae?

18. Jan 1, 2010 #17

ideasrule

Homework Helper

North Korea?

19. Jan 1, 2010 #18

Char. Limit

Gold Member

Graduate High school and go to college.

Other than that... hope the prom goes all right.

20. Jan 1, 2010 #19

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Lose 18 pounds.
    Practice my fiddle every day.

21. Jan 1, 2010 #20
    Well since my car just broke down on me for the umteenth time last night on my way to work I think my primary goal right now is to buy another car.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook