What are your quirky habits and where do they cross the line into madness?

• Thread starter Schrodinger's Dog
  • Start date
In summary, this person has some quirky habits, but they don't seem to be too severe. They are also very forgetful and have to be on time for everything, which can be annoying. However, they do have some nice qualities, such as being kind and caring.
Schrodinger's Dog
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoglB5NRxTo&mode=related&search=

Unlike this poor barking mad fellow I don't write letters to The Daily Mail but I do have some character flaws that could be seen as eccentric, what are yours? And where's the thin line between OCD and madness?

I can't leave home without my wallet, in fact if I don't have it I feel uneasy.

I always walk the dog in a prescribed route, to deviate from it is somewhat unnerving, occasionally I walk him in different areas, this is fine as long as I keep to the prescribed route I don't feel uneasy. Now whilst this might not be considered unusual or mad, generally I'm a bit chaotic so it's out of character,so it is definitely odd.

What are your little eccentricities, do share :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
I am extremely sporadic in mood... apart from that most of my friends qualify me as "weird" but I don't know why exactly.

I am so forgetful, i am sure i would not remember if i had any.

I'm a walking toolbox. In the pockets of my jeans are a Leatherman Micra, a Russell folding utility knife, a small tape measure, a 10x Hastings triplet, a mini-Maglight, and some guitar picks. I have to have these things, along with my wallet, pocket comb, money, etc. I'm an inveterate tinkerer and would probably carry a digital multimeter, too if there was room in my pockets.

turbo-1 said:
I'm a walking toolbox. In the pockets of my jeans are a Leatherman Micra, a Russell folding utility knife, a small tape measure, a 10x Hastings triplet, a mini-Maglight, and some guitar picks. I have to have these things, along with my wallet, pocket comb, money, etc. I'm an inveterate tinkerer and would probably carry a digital multimeter, too if there was room in my pockets.
I want to carry turbo in my pocket. :biggrin:

I used to be insanely a creature of habit. I've lightened up, but I still always put everything in exactly the same place so I don't spend hours searching for things. I just found it was smarter to designate a place for my keys, eye glasses, etc... and make it a rule to ALWAYS put them in these places.

My ex was a complete scatter brain, he could never find anything, so I bought him this fancy wooden "butler" and it had a place for everything, his keys, glasses, watch, wallet, change, checkbook, etc.. I just had to train him to go directly to his "box" when he got home and place everything there. It saved me a lot of grief.

Last edited:
Evo said:
I want to carry turbo in my pocket. :biggrin:
That would have to be one hell of a pocket, lady!:rofl: Also, I expect to be fed regularly.:tongue2: I don't think you could afford me.

Edit: On second thought, You could probably feed me on the money I save you on medical bills by keeping all hand and power tools out of your reach.

Last edited:
Hmmm well...
I have to flip my two pillows over exactly two times each before I go to bed or I will not be able to sleep.
I have to check my alarm clock three times to make sure it is on...checking the sound is on loud enough as well as the time is set for the alarm.
I have to be at least 20 minutes early for everything or I freak out.
I must get on a motorcycle from the left.
I have to check I locked the door twice before I leave.

I'm tired of typing so I will quit now.

I don't have any, I'm the perfect man :biggrin:

I think OCD would probably cover it just generally. Checking doors and minutely inspecting cutlery are probably the ones that annoy people most. Oh and always drinking things with the label or logo facing myself and arranging other peoples pints tend to annoy everyone aswell.

Kurdt said:
I don't have any, I'm the perfect man :biggrin:

I think OCD would probably cover it just generally. Checking doors and minutely inspecting cutlery are probably the ones that annoy people most. Oh and always drinking things with the label or logo facing myself and arranging other peoples pints tend to annoy everyone aswell.
I have a very cute female cousin with your traits. You'd probably kill each other in short order.

turbo-1 said:
I have a very cute female cousin with your traits. You'd probably kill each other in short order.

Sounds like it would be interesting finding out. :smile:

Interesting for the local news, perhaps. Kathy is a sweetie, and will do anything for me, but when I mis-align her stack of quarters while we are playing 31, she will kick my shins under the table and glance over to see if I will grimace or otherwise signal to the other players that I have been "had". She and I have been an "item" (very personally, though not romantically) since I was 19 and she was 14, and we're always there for each other. She is absolutely driven to do some things "just so" to the point of distraction, but she is also "what the hell!" about a lot of stuff. We suit each other well, but two similarly compulsive persons should not expect to have such a cozy relationship.

Last edited:
i almost always flip the light switch when i leave a room. even if the lights are out when I'm in the room, when I leave i'll just turn the lights on without realizing it unil a minute later. I get annoyed always catching myself doing it!

Physics is Phun said:
i almost always flip the light switch when i leave a room. even if the lights are out when I'm in the room, when I leave i'll just turn the lights on without realizing it unil a minute later. I get annoyed always catching myself doing it!

:rofl: I do this quite often aswell. Its always interesting the reaction you get when you turn the light off and there ae still other people in the room.

Physics is Phun said:

Can you actually force yourself to leave a room without doing it though? If you can your not OCD. :smile:

What does the term "foibles" mean?

The term "foibles" refers to small weaknesses or flaws in someone's character or behavior.

Why is it important to identify one's foibles?

Identifying one's foibles can help individuals become more self-aware and improve their behavior and decision-making skills.

Can foibles be changed or eliminated?

Yes, with self-reflection and effort, one can work towards changing or eliminating their foibles.

How can a person identify their foibles?

One can identify their foibles by seeking feedback from others, reflecting on past mistakes, and being open to self-improvement.

Are foibles always negative?

No, foibles can also be positive traits or quirks that add to one's personality. However, they can become negative if they are excessive or cause harm to oneself or others.

Back