Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What are your foibles?

1. Jul 15, 2007 #1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoglB5NRxTo&mode=related&search=

Unlike this poor barking mad fellow I don't write letters to The Daily Mail but I do have some character flaws that could be seen as eccentric, what are yours? And where's the thin line between OCD and madness?

I can't leave home without my wallet, in fact if I don't have it I feel uneasy.

I always walk the dog in a prescribed route, to deviate from it is somewhat unnerving, occasionally I walk him in different areas, this is fine as long as I keep to the prescribed route I don't feel uneasy. Now whilst this might not be considered unusual or mad, generally I'm a bit chaotic so it's out of character,so it is definitely odd.

What are your little eccentricities, do share :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2007 #2
    I am extremely sporadic in mood... apart from that most of my friends qualify me as "weird" but I don't know why exactly.

4. Jul 15, 2007 #3

wolram

Gold Member

I am so forgetful, i am sure i would not remember if i had any.

5. Jul 15, 2007 #4

turbo

Gold Member

I'm a walking toolbox. In the pockets of my jeans are a Leatherman Micra, a Russell folding utility knife, a small tape measure, a 10x Hastings triplet, a mini-Maglight, and some guitar picks. I have to have these things, along with my wallet, pocket comb, money, etc. I'm an inveterate tinkerer and would probably carry a digital multimeter, too if there was room in my pockets.

6. Jul 15, 2007 #5

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I want to carry turbo in my pocket. :biggrin:

I used to be insanely a creature of habit. I've lightened up, but I still always put everything in exactly the same place so I don't spend hours searching for things. I just found it was smarter to designate a place for my keys, eye glasses, etc... and make it a rule to ALWAYS put them in these places.

My ex was a complete scatter brain, he could never find anything, so I bought him this fancy wooden "butler" and it had a place for everything, his keys, glasses, watch, wallet, change, checkbook, etc.. I just had to train him to go directly to his "box" when he got home and place everything there. It saved me a lot of grief.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2007
  7. Jul 15, 2007 #6

turbo

Gold Member

That would have to be one hell of a pocket, lady!:rofl: Also, I expect to be fed regularly.:tongue2: I don't think you could afford me.

Edit: On second thought, You could probably feed me on the money I save you on medical bills by keeping all hand and power tools out of your reach.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2007
  8. Jul 16, 2007 #7
    Hmmm well.....
    I have to flip my two pillows over exactly two times each before I go to bed or I will not be able to sleep.
    I have to check my alarm clock three times to make sure it is on.....checking the sound is on loud enough as well as the time is set for the alarm.
    I have to be at least 20 minutes early for everything or I freak out.
    I must get on a motorcycle from the left.
    I have to check I locked the door twice before I leave.

I'm tired of typing so I will quit now.

9. Jul 16, 2007 #8

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't have any, I'm the perfect man :biggrin:

I think OCD would probably cover it just generally. Checking doors and minutely inspecting cutlery are probably the ones that annoy people most. Oh and always drinking things with the label or logo facing myself and arranging other peoples pints tend to annoy everyone aswell.

10. Jul 16, 2007 #9

turbo

Gold Member

I have a very cute female cousin with your traits. You'd probably kill each other in short order.

11. Jul 16, 2007 #10

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sounds like it would be interesting finding out. :smile:

12. Jul 16, 2007 #11

turbo

Gold Member

Interesting for the local news, perhaps. Kathy is a sweetie, and will do anything for me, but when I mis-align her stack of quarters while we are playing 31, she will kick my shins under the table and glance over to see if I will grimace or otherwise signal to the other players that I have been "had". She and I have been an "item" (very personally, though not romantically) since I was 19 and she was 14, and we're always there for each other. She is absolutely driven to do some things "just so" to the point of distraction, but she is also "what the hell!" about a lot of stuff. We suit each other well, but two similarly compulsive persons should not expect to have such a cozy relationship.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2007
  13. Jul 17, 2007 #12
    i almost always flip the light switch when i leave a room. even if the lights are out when i'm in the room, when I leave i'll just turn the lights on without realizing it unil a minute later. I get annoyed always catching myself doing it!

14. Jul 17, 2007 #13

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: I do this quite often aswell. Its always interesting the reaction you get when you turn the light off and there ae still other people in the room.

15. Jul 17, 2007 #14
    Can you actually force yourself to leave a room without doing it though? If you can your not OCD. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?