What bird species laid these eggs in my garden?

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bird
In summary: I found these eggs in my front garden today. They're solid white, have no markings, and are about the size of a chicken egg. I've never seen any large bird take an interest in my garden before.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
Found this clutch of eggs in my front garden today, not 2 yards from the sidewalk.
Have never seen any large bird take an interest in garden.

Count: 3
Colour: solid white, maybe a faint tinge of green, like the heron egg in this pic. No speckles. Matte finish.
Size: 55mm long, 40mm in diameter*
Shape: Pretty chicken egg shaped - a pointy end and a round end
Nest: None. Just nestled into the mulch of my flower bed.
Time: Late July

* so, a little smaller than a chicken egg (62x45). Too small to be duck; way too small to be goose.

Physics news on Phys.org
Likes BillTre
I think they've been abandoned. I've never seen any bird near my front garden. For all I know, they've been there since spring.

Are/were the eggs warm?

BillTre said:
Are/were the eggs warm?
Well, it's about 27C (80F) here and - while it's a pretty hazy day - there's still direct sun, so they're warm like everything else is warm.

Likes BillTre
DaveC426913 said:
maybe a faint tinge of green, like the heron egg in this pic. No speckles. Matte finish.
So, don't you have a pic of the ones you found?

dlgoff said:
So, don't you have a pic of the ones you found?
Well oops.

Attached.
(Yes, I moved one and put it back. Don't judge me.)

Attachments

• eggs.jpg
    eggs.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 67
  • eggs2.jpg
    eggs2.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 67
dlgoff said:
The one on the left reminds me of aggie marbles.
?? They're solid white with no markings. They could pass for eggs from the grocery store.

DaveC426913 said:
?? They're solid white with no markings. They could pass for eggs from the grocery store.
Okay. The one on the left looked like it had some colored markings on it.

1. How can I identify the bird species that laid these eggs in my garden?

There are a few ways to identify the bird species that laid the eggs in your garden. First, you can try to match the eggs to pictures or descriptions in a bird identification guide. You can also look for any nearby nests or observe the behavior of birds in your garden to narrow down potential species. You may also consider seeking help from a local bird expert or participating in a citizen science project.

2. What do different bird eggs look like?

Bird eggs can vary greatly in appearance, depending on the species. They can range in color from white to blue to brown, and may have speckles or other markings. The size and shape of the eggs can also differ between species. It is important to note that not all eggs found in gardens or backyards may belong to birds, as some reptiles and insects also lay eggs.

3. Can I determine the bird species based on the color of the eggs?

While the color of bird eggs can provide some clues about the species, it is not a definitive method of identification. Many species of birds can lay eggs of similar colors, and some birds may even lay eggs with different colors within the same clutch. Therefore, it is best to use other characteristics, such as size, shape, and behavior, to identify the bird species that laid the eggs in your garden.

4. Is it possible to tell how old the eggs are?

In most cases, it is difficult to determine the exact age of bird eggs without specialized equipment. However, you may be able to estimate the age based on the size and development of the embryos inside the eggs. If the eggs have already hatched, you can look for clues such as the size and appearance of the chicks to determine their age.

5. What should I do if I find bird eggs in my garden?

If you find bird eggs in your garden, it is important to leave them undisturbed. Many bird species are protected by laws that prohibit the removal or destruction of their nests or eggs. It is also important to note that some bird species may abandon their nest if it has been disturbed. If you are concerned about the eggs, you can contact a local wildlife agency or bird expert for advice.

Back