What Books do you recommend on Electrical Engineering?

In summary, a computer science major is interested in learning about the hardware aspects of computers, specifically electronics and electrical engineering. However, their university does not offer any courses in this field. The individual is considering self-study or pursuing a second major in electrical engineering. They are seeking recommendations for books or textbooks to help them get started in this field. Some suggested resources include The Art of Electronics by Horowitz and Microelectronic Circuits by Sedra and Smith. The individual also suggests looking at textbooks and curriculums used by universities for further guidance.
cwucopter
So, I'm a computer science major because I love programming and maths, but I really want to also learn the hardware part of computers as well.

My university doesn't have an electrical engineering programme or offer any serious courses dealing with electrical engineering. I really want to learn the stuff dealing with electronics but I don't know if I really want to push another possible 2 years in school for a second major or if I should self study. My reasons for learning this stuff is mainly personal rather than just for a job, there are some projects I've had drawn up since HS (project drones, security bots) but I lack the knowledge to actually know where to start with the electronics aspect of the projects. I am looking for books that can help me get started in the world of Electrical Engineering. I've already taken up to Calculus III and Physics I (made deans list when I took all courses) at community college even though they weren't required for my major. The community college offered Electrical Engineering courses but I left there to finish my CS degree before I took any EE classes.

I'm looking for anything from College textbooks to professional guides. I'm not one for 'How to' or 'Dummies' books, but if you think that they're good I will take a look at them.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just look at the textbooks universities use. Also look at their curriculum.

This message should be posted at the top of this forum.

The Art of Electronics, by Horowitz

Microelectronic Circuits, by Sedra and Smith

1. What are the best books for beginners in electrical engineering?

Some highly recommended books for beginners in electrical engineering include "Introduction to Electric Circuits" by James A. Svoboda and Richard C. Dorf, "Principles of Electric Circuits" by Thomas L. Floyd, and "Fundamentals of Electric Circuits" by Charles K. Alexander and Matthew N. O. Sadiku.

2. What books cover advanced topics in electrical engineering?

For advanced topics in electrical engineering, some popular books include "Microelectronic Circuits" by Adel S. Sedra and Kenneth C. Smith, "Power System Analysis" by Hadi Saadat, and "Control Systems Engineering" by Norman S. Nise.

3. Are there any books specifically for digital electronics?

Yes, there are several books dedicated to digital electronics, such as "Digital Design" by M. Morris Mano and Michael D. Ciletti, "Fundamentals of Digital Logic with Verilog Design" by Stephen Brown and Zvonko Vranesic, and "Digital Systems: Principles and Applications" by Ronald J. Tocci, Neal S. Widmer, and Greg Moss.

4. Can you recommend any books for learning about power systems?

Some recommended books for learning about power systems include "Power System Analysis and Design" by J. Duncan Glover, Mulukutla S. Sarma, and Thomas J. Overbye, "Electric Power Systems" by B. M. Weedy, B. J. Cory, N. Jenkins, J. B. Ekanayake, and G. Strbac, and "Power System Analysis" by John J. Grainger and William D. Stevenson Jr.

5. Are there any good reference books for electrical engineering?

Yes, there are many excellent reference books for electrical engineering, such as "The Art of Electronics" by Paul Horowitz and Winfield Hill, "Electrical Engineering: Principles and Applications" by Allan R. Hambley, "Electromagnetics for Engineers" by Fawwaz T. Ulaby and Andrew E. Yagle, and "Electrical Engineering: Know It All" by Clive Maxfield and John Bird.