Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What can a complex manifold do for me that real manifolds can't.

1. Nov 17, 2014 #1
    What can a complex manifold of dimension N do for me that real manifolds of dimension 2N can't.

Edit, I guess the list might be long but consider only the main features.

Thanks for any help or pointers!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2014 #2

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Lots of things. For one, if your complex manifold is Kahler, then there is a huge shortcut for computing the Ricci tensor.

4. Nov 18, 2014 #3
  5. Nov 18, 2014 #4
    From " Complex manifolds and mathematical physics"

http://www.researchgate.net/profile/Raymond_Wells/publication/38390006_Complex_manifolds_and_mathematical_physics/links/0c960528f84c35a7c9000000 [Broken]

"1. Introduction. In the past several years there have been some remarkable links forged between two rather distinct areas of research, namely complex manifold theory on the one hand, and mathematical physics on the other. Complex manifold theory has its roots in the theory of Riemann surfaces and in algebraic geometry, and has seen significant progress in this century based on the introduction of ideas from algebraic topology, differential geometry, partial differential equations, etc. Mathematical physics has been involved in this century in the developments of relativity theory, quantum mechanics, quantum electrodynamics, and quantum field theory, to mention some major developments. Most of these disciplines are formulated in forms of field equations, i.e. partial differential equations whose solutions (under some boundary conditions) represent physical or measurable quantities. The link mentioned above between complex manifold theory and mathematical physics is that in many cases, the solutions of a given field equation can be represented entirely in terms of complex manifolds, holomorphic vector bundles, or cohomology classes on open complex manifolds with coefficients in certain holomorphic vector bundles. In simplistic terms the field equations can be reduced to the Cauchy-Riemann equations by making suitable changes in the geometric background space. "

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook