What can I do with a BS in Physics

• Physics
  • Thread starter slam7211
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the person is a physics major who is planning to go to grad school for electrical engineering but is also considering other job options. They are wondering about the job prospects for someone with a BS in physics and their chances of getting into an MS program with their GPA. They are also discussing different types of engineering jobs and programming skills that may be helpful in securing a job.
slam7211
So I am going to graduate with a BS in physics next year, I have plans to go to grad school for EE (I know I am going to have to take undergrad courses to make up work I don't have) but I also want to hedge my bet on grad school (I might not get in, paying for it may be a problem etc.) so I am wondering what kind of job I could get with a BS in physics. I read one thread on here that ended up with a bunch of people being harsh and angry about physics and engineering, so id appreciate if we could keep this civil.

Physics news on Phys.org
I see mostly people say look for easy-ish engineering jobs, I was more wondering how I could easily get my foot in the door somewhere, also anyone have any idea how bad my chances of getting into an MS program (not top program) with a 3.3 cumulative (though I switched major) and a 3.5 ish physics gpa?

As someone who is ahead of you in this regard, let me tell you that there is no such thing as an "easy-ish" engineering job. Go look at job ads for engineering on something like Monster, Indeed, Dice, whatever. Look at the requirements. Those are things you are not likely to know as a physics major.

There are non-engineering engineering jobs, like "sales engineering" or "test engineering", stuff that takes "engineering" to mean "we need someone smart to make things happen". You might have a better shot at that, since the requirements tend not to be as strict.

Programming is a choice. Those are the only interviews I've actually gotten so far. Depends on how well you can program, though. In my education I learned programming on the side while doing undergrad research. I didn't really take any classes in it.

I've also heard that general management might work. No idea what the starting pay for something like that could even be. Probably really low unless you have a business degree of some sort. I mean, if you have a physics degree and are looking at management, they know you're desparate enough to take a lower salary. Anyway, I can't imagine really doing it myself, so I've stayed away from that.

yeah, obviously I know engineering ist "easy" in any respect, as far as programming goes I am acruing some experience, I know java, including android, python MATLAB, and I am probs going to throw in C sometime

yeah, obviously I know engineering ist "easy" in any respect,

I know, but what you were saying is that you'd go for engineering jobs that didn't have a lot of requirements. I'm just trying to say that those don't really exist. At least not now.

I know java, including android, python MATLAB, and I am probs going to throw in C sometime

Then you're doing pretty well. I really only know C/C++ and MATLAB and am having kind of a tough time. You might want to skip C and go with something like Ruby if you already know Java and Python. Basically there are a few different "fields" of software development from what I've seen.

• Web-based programs that use Java and scripting languages (Perl and PHP come to mind too, as does Ruby)
  • Offline software that uses C/C++ and often require knowledge of how networks work, also requiring you to have experience using Visual Studio and the .NET framework.
  • Embedded software that uses C/C++ and really requires you to know computer architecture and the electronics behind computers.

Obviously there is stuff in between, but these are the three main "types" of jobs I've seen offered. I myself would really love the embedded software job, but there is no real way for me to learn about this stuff without having the actual hardware, so I don't think I'll get that job. More likely I'm looking at the 2nd category, but still have some learning to do.

As for you, my advice is to stick to one "type" and get better with it. Learning C after you know Java won't help *too* much since I don't often see them used together. You'd be better off learning a language that is used in conjunction with Java more often, like Perl or SQL.

1. What career options are available with a BS in Physics?

A BS in Physics can open up various career paths, including research positions in academia or government agencies, engineering and technology roles in industries such as aerospace or energy, or teaching at the secondary or college level.

2. Is a BS in Physics a good degree for those interested in pursuing a medical career?

A BS in Physics can be a great foundation for those interested in a medical career, as it provides a strong background in mathematics, problem-solving, and critical thinking skills. Many medical schools also value applicants with a diverse academic background, and a physics degree can set you apart from other candidates.

3. Can a BS in Physics lead to a career in finance or business?

While a BS in Physics may not seem like the most obvious choice for a career in finance or business, the analytical and problem-solving skills gained through studying physics can be highly valued in these fields. Many employers in finance and business are seeking candidates with strong quantitative skills, and a physics degree can provide that.

4. Are there opportunities for advancement with a BS in Physics?

Yes, there are many opportunities for advancement with a BS in Physics. Depending on the specific career path you choose, there may be opportunities for promotions, higher salaries, and leadership roles. Additionally, pursuing further education, such as a graduate degree in physics or a related field, can also lead to advancement in your career.

5. Can a BS in Physics lead to a career in a non-science field?

Yes, a BS in Physics can lead to a career in a non-science field. The critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills gained through studying physics can be applied to a variety of industries, making physics graduates attractive candidates in fields such as data analysis, consulting, and even law. Additionally, pursuing interdisciplinary studies or gaining experience through internships and extracurricular activities can also help prepare you for a career in a non-science field.