What can I expect as a civil engineering major?

In summary: However, after I took my dynamics class I realized that I would much rather design something that doesn't have moving parts. I think Civil Engineering is a great option because you can do a lot of design work and you also have the opportunity to learn about other disciplines. Another plus is that there is always room for growth in this field.Hello everyone! I am currently finishing up my physics and calc, and although it's been a little tough, I am determined to complete my studies. I don't know of any civil majors in this forum, however, I was hoping someone could share their experiences with me regarding the major. Thanks in advance :smile:Hello, Civil engineering major here. Senior :cool: :tongue
vmtyler
Hello everyone! I am currently finishing up my physics and calc, and although it's been a little tough, I am determined to complete my studies. I don't know of any civil majors in this forum, however, I was hoping someone could share their experiences with me regarding the major. Thanks in advance :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, Civil engineering major here. Senior :cool: :tongue: . Anyway, i like it, it's a good overall career. It's challenging and it's fullfilling.

Hey Cyclovenom, what was your fav class? Most challenging?

Another one here. :smile:

I'm currently "on" the third (of four) year, don't know how exactly that fits into American university education definitions.

I agree with Cyclovenom, it's fun and challenging. And a good career awaits, in general.

radou said:
Another one here. :smile:

I'm currently "on" the third (of four) year, don't know how exactly that fits into American university education definitions.

I agree with Cyclovenom, it's fun and challenging. And a good career awaits, in general.

I think junior.

Freshman is 1st year
Sophomore 2nd year
Junior 3rd year
Senior 4th year

i think!.

Hey Cyclovenom, what was your fav class? Most challenging?

Static is my favourite, and the most challenging? well it's hard to pick, they all had challenging projects, but if i was to say it'll between reinforced concrete II and highway design I.

Btw Cyclovenom are you specialized in geotechincal engineering?

radou said:
Btw Cyclovenom are you specialized in geotechincal engineering?

No, why?. I know it looks that way :redface: , i just find Geotechnical engineering very interesting, but I've only taken 3 courses on it. Soil Mechanics, Foundation Engineering(i'm taking this) and Geotechnical Exploration :shy: .

Radou, what area of civil eng do you like?

Cyclovenom said:
No, why?. I know it looks that way :redface: , i just find Geotechnical engineering very interesting, but I've only taken 3 courses on it. Soil Mechanics, Foundation Engineering(i'm taking this) and Geotechnical Exploration :shy: .

Radou, what area of civil eng do you like?

Well, I find geotechnical engineering interesting too, amof I have been considering to choose that branch on the fourth year, but I'm simply more interested in structural analysis, so that's what I'll take, I guess.

I found Soil mechanics and Foundations design interesting too.

Great!, best of luck, radou.

In case you were wondering i haven't picked a specialization yet, but it's between transport and the other one you know :smile: .

Cyclovenom said:
Static is my favourite, and the most challenging? well it's hard to pick, they all had challenging projects, but if i was to say it'll between reinforced concrete II and highway design I.
Wow, I thought you were joking when you said that Reinforced Concrete II was your favorite class. Sure enough, my own school has that very class. :biggrin:

We have two semesters of Reinforced concrete I. Reinforce concrete II is obligatory for students who have chosen Structural analysis (i.e. "Constructions").

I'm taking the second semester of Reinforced concrete I right now, and it's okay, although I miss practical learning, i.e. sometimes it happens that we're analyzing some element, but we're not exactly sure how it really looks like, etc.

But I guess one catches up with these problems rapidly when one starts to work.

Civil Major Here. I have enjoyed it so far. Choosing Structures as my focus has been difficult. I seem to have the hardest time with my structual classes. I really haven't gotten a feel for the other focus areas yet but I will be very soon. I have had a few advisors tell me I should switch to Mechanical because I some how did better in my dynamics class than I did in my Mechanics of Materials classes. Although I really enjoy doing design work for buildings and bridges.

When I was much younger I thought about being a Mechanical Engineer because I wanted to be part of the design for automobiles.

1. What is civil engineering?

Civil engineering is a branch of engineering that involves the design, construction, and maintenance of the built environment, including roads, bridges, buildings, and other structures.

2. What skills do I need to have to excel in a civil engineering major?

Some important skills for civil engineering majors include problem-solving, critical thinking, attention to detail, communication, and technical proficiency in math and science. Additionally, being able to work well in a team and manage projects effectively are also valuable skills for this field.

3. What career opportunities are available for civil engineering majors?

Civil engineering majors have a wide variety of career opportunities, including roles in construction, transportation, environmental engineering, structural engineering, and geotechnical engineering. They can also work for government agencies, private companies, or as independent consultants.

4. What courses can I expect to take in a civil engineering major?

Some common courses in a civil engineering major include engineering mechanics, engineering materials, surveying, structural analysis and design, transportation engineering, geotechnical engineering, and construction management.

5. Is a civil engineering major a good choice for me?

This ultimately depends on your interests and career goals. If you enjoy problem-solving, designing and building structures, and have strong math and science skills, then a civil engineering major may be a good fit for you. It also offers a variety of career opportunities and competitive salaries, making it a promising field to consider.