What can you expect in the Food Thread on PF?

In summary, a food lover and connoisseur named PF shared their favourite recipes, their kind of cuisine, and favourite dishes. They also shared their experiences dining out and cooking at home. Lastly, they mentioned a food thread that is popular on the website, as well as a recipe that they like.
  • #3,501
Kevin_Axion said:
Sausage making day next week! I'll upload some pictures.

:yuck: do i have to watch...? can't i just eat it when you're done?

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #3,502
Haha, I don't think it will get over the border. We're using the recipe my grandfather used and mixing is all done traditionally, it is so good :). We make a lot, I'm not sure mass wise but there is definitely over 200 sausages. There are two types also, we cure a part it in our cellar for over a month and we also make fresh sausage. I can take some pictures though if anyone wants to see.

• #3,503
Kevin_Axion said:
Haha, I don't think it will get over the border. We're using the recipe my grandfather used and mixing is all done traditionally, it is so good :). We make a lot, I'm not sure mass wise but there is definitely over 200 sausages. There are two types also, we cure a part it in our cellar for over a month and we also make fresh sausage. I can take some pictures though if anyone wants to see.
Sounds good. Yes. Pictures.

• #3,504
Andre said:
Paella

2motsif.jpg

This is how they serve it on the market in St-Girons in the Arriege in France
OMG, that paella looks incredible. You're killing me Andre.

• #3,505
Kevin_Axion said:

Wow, that sounds fantastic!

• #3,506
Evo said:
OMG, that paella looks incredible. You're killing me Andre.

I would demolish those shrimp/prawns... there wouldn't even be a tail-fin left. I hate mussels though... gack.

Look at that pan too... god I'd love one of those and a fire-pit burner... like the ones they have in a good Chinese restaurant!

*swoon*

• #3,507
OH!... take the leftover shrimp heads, scramble them into some eggs, and make a giant omelet or scramble in THAT pan... drizzled with the sauce. Oh yeah.

• #3,508
Oh yea, we also make salami and a few years ago we made capicola. I asked my dad and he said we'll be making approximately 250 pounds this year. It's also natural casing (pig intestines) soaked in wine and garlic which adds to the flavour. Here is a picture of me from 8 years ago: (The one on the right is my dad and the left is his friend)

Attachments

• web-sausage-2003-kevingstuffing.jpg
    web-sausage-2003-kevingstuffing.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 389
  • #3,509
Kevin_Axion said:
Oh yea, we also make salami and a few years ago we made capicola. I asked my dad and he said we'll be making approximately 250 pounds this year.

Hmmmm... I wonder how much I could smuggle...

In my body only.

TA TA TUM!

Seriously though, you are one lucky guy!

• #3,510
Well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFB_vHVFM_8

• #3,511
Kevin_Axion said:
Oh yea, we also make salami and a few years ago we made capicola. I asked my dad and he said we'll be making approximately 250 pounds this year. It's also natural casing (pig intestines) soaked in wine and garlic which adds to the flavour. Here is a picture of me from 8 years ago: (The one on the right is my dad and the left is his friend)
Kevin, what kind of meat? Where do you make it? And most important, when are you delivering to my house?

• #3,512
It's pork, I really have no idea where the meat is from on the pig, I think it's pork butt (I don't think that actually means it's "behind", rather the shoulder). We do it in or kitchen. Where do you live?

• #3,513
When I was a kid, my extended family would get together in the fall and slaughter and process hogs. We'd make sausages, blood sausages, etc. The women were in charge of the sausage-making, and processing head-cheese, etc. The men were in charge of slaughtering, bleeding, and butchering the animals, and the kids had the job of shuttling intestines, blood, etc from the barn to the kitchen. Any kid could take intestines to the big summer kitchen to be cleaned boiled, etc, but you had to be a big boy (rite of passage) to lug wash-pans of blood to the kitchen. Drop one of those and you'd be marked for life (Remember the time...?).

• #3,514
We buy the pork from a butcher and grind it ourselves, I don't think anyone in my family could kill the pig.

• #3,515
Evo said:
Kevin, what kind of meat? Where do you make it? And most important, when are you delivering to my house?

Lets 'Oceans 11' his meat supply!

• #3,516
Hmm, I have dogs.

• #3,517
Kevin_Axion said:
Hmm, I have dogs.

Do your dogs like steak? :biggrin:

• #3,518
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3d-qENAaNbM

• #3,519
Hey... since we have the genuine articles here... does "Smörgåsbord" really mean, "bread and butter table"?

• #3,520
Evo said:
What do you like?
chocolate -_-
nismaratwork said:
Flan/Indian Pudding/Custard
Chips/Pretzels/Carrots
Cocoa/Tea/CoffeeI tend to think along lines of textures, and sweet/fat/salt.

Ice cream is always a winner.
Flan and coffee sound really good!
lisab said:
Chicken and dumplings.
Macaroni and cheese.
Toast (ok so i guess I'm easy to comfort).
Mac and cheez is soooo good! You know...I've never had chicken and dumplings *for shame*
Andre said:
Paella

2motsif.jpg

This is how they serve it on the market in St-Girons in the Arriege in France

:eek:OMG there IS a heaven and it is on this earth, in a pot in France :biggrin:

• #3,521
HeLiXe said:
*seeks comfort food*
any recommendations?

Chilli Cheese Fries are quite good

20090528-krazeburger-fries.jpg

• #3,522
rootX said:

Ooooooh <3 They are SO good!

• #3,523
rootX said:

Ohhh so good, but the picture... my arteries! It doesn't matter... SO WORTH IT.

• #3,524
Having all the ingredients to make this, dare I?

• #3,525
mugaliens said:
Having all the ingredients to make this, dare I?

You dare... and then... describe them to us... *drool*

'It puts the cheese and chili on the fries or it gets the hose again!'

• #3,526
If you really want a feast, visit me here in the Springs. I cook for my folks and their friends all the time. I was actually a cook, decades back. Wild wings has nothing on this fellow.

Ok, I'm bragging out the (rhymes with "Whahoo") but you get it. I really was a cook, and a damned good one. I had two teachers. One was Greak, circa WWII, and the other was Indian, circa a name that had about 29 syllables. Yes, and decades ago I could actually pronounce the whole, dang thing.

Not today, other that I recall it began with "Bhouphet," with the "h" silent."

I think.

Both good friends, although I've lost touch with both of them these days. I hope Chris is doing well. :) Vic's probably long since taken over the business.

• #3,527
mugaliens said:
If you really want a feast, visit me here in the Springs. I cook for my folks and their friends all the time. I was actually a cook, decades back. Wild wings has nothing on this fellow.

Ok, I'm bragging out the (rhymes with "Whahoo") but you get it. I really was a cook, and a damned good one. I had two teachers. One was Greak, circa WWII, and the other was Indian, circa a name that had about 29 syllables. Yes, and decades ago I could actually pronounce the whole, dang thing.

Not today, other that I recall it began with "Bhouphet," with the "h" silent."

I think.

Both good friends, although I've lost touch with both of them these days. I hope Chris is doing well. :) Vic's probably long since taken over the business.

No better gift than cooking skills... really, it makes life MUCH easier. As a student, it was practically a necessity, after which it's merely a normal necessity. :tongue:

You sound as though you had exceptional teachers, and from very different traditions! What comes to mind immediately is some kind of take on Saag Paneer and Spanakopita, deconstructed...

Maybe feta/paneer cheese and spinach/mustard-greeen dip with phyllo crisps and extra-spicy poppadom?

• #3,529
Last edited by a moderator:
  • #3,530
Who can't cook an omelete? The end product of this omelete boiled in a bag looks worse that any omelete I have ever seen. I'm sure it tastes ok.

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/6183537/16054130

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #3,531
Evo said:
Who can't cook an omelete? The end product of this omelete boiled in a bag looks worse that any omelete I have ever seen. I'm sure it tastes ok.
Wow! That's pretty darned pathetic. I like to have my vegetables and meat pan-fried a bit before making an omelet. I do that in a small cast iron pan. While things are browning a bit, I scramble some eggs and cook them in a large pan, put the other ingredients on one half of the eggs along with shredded cheese, and fold the other half over. When the eggs are slightly browned, flip the omelet and lightly brown the other side. It is so easy...

Serve with salsa. I use my home-made stuff, of course, but Newman's Own isn't too terrible for commercial stuff. I used to use that about 10-15 years ago before I started canning my own.

• #3,532
turbo-1 said:
Wow! That's pretty darned pathetic. I like to have my vegetables and meat pan-fried a bit before making an omelet. I do that in a small cast iron pan. While things are browning a bit, I scramble some eggs and cook them in a large pan, put the other ingredients on one half of the eggs along with shredded cheese, and fold the other half over. When the eggs are slightly browned, flip the omelet and lightly brown the other side. It is so easy...
That sounds delicious, seriously if you can scramble an egg, you can fold it in half for an omelete.

• #3,533
Evo said:
That sounds delicious, seriously if you can scramble an egg, you can fold it in half for an omelete.
And it's such a quick tasty meal. I can't imagine that a boiled omelet would be palatable, since I'm used to my own omelets. I'd love to have a large kitchen with a large flat griddle surface, in addition to my gas burners. It would be fun to brown the vegetables, start the eggs, combine them with the cheese and fold and flip the omelet. Slip the omelet onto a plate and pile on the hash-browns (if I had a griddle, I'd have to make hash-browns with every omelet). I'm sure that the short-order cooks at Waffle House are paid poorly, but they have jobs that I'd love to try for a while to see if I could keep up.

• #3,534
I have a good friend about 40 minutes away in the deep burbs... he has chickens.. and I get eggs. Unwashed (just brushed clean), unrefrigerated... AMAZING eggs.

Side note... I eat too many eggs!

• #3,535
nismaratwork said:
I have a good friend about 40 minutes away in the deep burbs... he has chickens.. and I get eggs. Unwashed (just brushed clean), unrefrigerated... AMAZING eggs.

Side note... I eat too many eggs!
Fresh eggs are wonderful. If you let them sit in the fridge for a week, they will peel easier if you boil them. If you boil fresh eggs, the whites stick to the shells and leave you with ugly eggs. That's OK if you are going to chop the eggs and top salads with them or make egg-salad, but it doesn't work if you want to make nice-looking deviled eggs.

Our newspaper-carrier sells fresh brown eggs for $1/dozen. She's a character. When my neighbor starts milling/planing wood to finish the addition we built on his house, she'll snatch up all the shavings she can get (bedding for the hens) and give him some newspapers in trade. She is in poor health and chain-smokes, and it's a wonder that she has not burned her old farm-house down.