wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
- 4,411
- 552
OOps, we duplicated, sorry.
Actually, yeah, because after I couldn't get them to shut up, I was not going to go putting them all back with new batteries just to have to climb up on chairs to shut them up again next time (and since they're hard-wired too, if the battery isn't in them, they'll chirp...well, technically, you're not supposed to be able to close the battery cover and reinstall it if the battery is out, but the spring contraption that prevents this isn't that hard to poke out of the way). What good is a silence button if you can't reach that any faster than it takes to yank the thing off the ceiling? I should get the one in the hallway put back up though. That's closest to the washer and dryer, which of all the things on that floor is the one thing that has a higher chance of ever catching fire. With the size of this house, one per floor is more than enough.FrogPad said:So in reality... having more makes me less safe, because it's more things to take care of.
I love that dish...but what's ghee? The rest sounds pretty easy (if I can find rose water...I don't know where to buy that).arunbg said:Here's a detailed recipe for my favourite Indian sweet dish that I got from the internet ( I usually buy the readymix ). It's just divine .And it only takes about half an hour for an experienced hand .
Moonbear said:I love that dish...but what's ghee? The rest sounds pretty easy (if I can find rose water...I don't know where to buy that).
middle eastern market. It is rose infused water.Moonbear said:I love that dish...but what's ghee? The rest sounds pretty easy (if I can find rose water...I don't know where to buy that).
http://homecooking.about.com/library/archive/blherb1.htmYou can make rose water and extracts (or any other herb) at home. Take a large pot, insert a clean brick or rock, fill with rose petals or herbs or whatever around the brick. Cover with water and place a small glass dish on top of the brick. On top of the pot put a stainless bowl and fill with ice. Simmer about three hours depending how many petals or herbs you have, replacing the ice as needed. The bowl with the ice will condense the steam and drip down into the glass bowl. The water in the glass bowl is your rose water or whatever herb, on top will be a layer of oil. This is the essential oil. You can separate these and use the water in cooking and the essential oil in potpourri, lotions, soaps or whatever.
yepwolram said:It is clarified butter i think.
I know what rosewater is, just don't know where to get it. There are no ethnic markets around here that I know of...I think I'd have to drive the 3 1/2 hours to DC to find one. There might be something in Pittsburgh, but not that I'd know where to look there either. I've seen it in "fancy" food stores, but we don't have any of those around here either.cyrusabdollahi said:middle eastern market. It is rose infused water.

There are no ethnic markets around here that I know of...I think I'd have to drive the 3 1/2 hours to DC to find one.
Hey, now hush up about those substitutes! I was looking forward to an excuse to get crabcakes in D.C.!arunbg said:Moonbear, don't worry there are plenty of other substitutes .
For ghee, you can use melted butter or vegetable oil to some extent although it's not the same thing . And in place of rose water, you can always use cardomom or other spices ( cinnamon perhaps, though I've never tried it) that you feel lends good flavour to the sugar syrup .
And let me tell you , it's worth all the effort you put in :)
Mmmmm, I love chicken and dumplings, I need to try your version.Tom Mattson said:I fancy myself an amateur chef.![]()
Here are some recipes that I came up with. My friends and family all think they're great.
Ultimate Chicken and Dumplings[/size]

arunbg said:Ladies and gentlemen, we have a cordon bleu chef in the making .
Tom Mattson, those recipes positively make my mouth water, especially the chicken and dumplings .
Sadly I don't cook ( I plan to start someday :P) and some of the ingredients are beyond me .
Ok Moonbear, I won't say a word about substitutes till you get back from DC after having your crabcakes . I love crab and I love cakes, but what are crabcakes anyway ?
PS: Tom, do you have those recipes stored on your PC or something , as I gather from the posting times ?

So whatever happened to the "Win a Date with Tom Mattson contest?" I don't remember any winners being announced, and I'm sure I was the only entry in the contest (I banned everyone else who triedAstronuc said:I'm surprised the single ladies around here aren't hitting on you yet.![]()
Moonbear said:Yummy...those recipes sound delicious! But, bisquick is not allowed anywhere near my kitchen, so I'll be avoiding that chicken and dumpling recipe everyone else seems enamored with. I've just never liked bisquick anything.
I especially like the sound of that couscous recipe.
I make a very simple shrimp scampi for myself (and for those less adventurous than Tom in the kitchen). I just heat up some olive oil with LOTS of garlic (use a garlic press to release all the juices and toss in 4 or 5 cloves of garlic) in an 8" frying pan on medium-high heat (this is a single serving meal), toss in the shrimp (6 to 10, depending on your appetite, shells removed), add a little salt and pepper, cook about 30 seconds to a minute on each side (until the shrimp is nice and pink), then pour in some white wine, just enough to cover the shrimp. Let the wine boil in the pan and finish cooking the shrimp through (just a few minutes), then serve over rice (I start the rice before I start thawing and shelling the shrimp...I just use frozen shrimp and thaw it in a bowl of warm water...so it's ready about the same time as the shrimp scampi is ready).
Nowhere near as fancy as Tom's, but when you need a quick meal after a long day of work, it's easy and tasty.

)