Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: What cause a phase shift between Ex and Ey of a polarized EM wave?

1. Dec 27, 2008 #1
    In EM wave polarization. Where is linear polarization where [tex]\gamma[/tex] =0 or [tex]\pi[/tex] . [tex]\gamma[/tex] = +/- 45 deg and amplitude of Ex and Ey are equal to give circular polization etc.

My question is why there are different angle of [tex]\gamma[/tex] on the first place? If you set the reference at x direction for E wave and y direction of H wave, you would never have polarization because there is no Ey component to speak of.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2009 #2
    Any opinion?

4. Jan 9, 2009 #3

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

Birefringence arising from anisotropy?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birefringence

Eugene Hecht's Optics (probably on the third or fourth edition) is a standard optics textbook that covers this, and is probably available in your university's library.

5. Jan 9, 2009 #4
    Thanks, I was hoping I can get some simple answers.....This is way over my head!!!:surprised!!!

I am studying mainly microwave and antenna. I do not even want to touch optics. If you have any opinion about electronics, I would love to hear it.....Like why the wave travel down a coax is circulation polarization?

Thanks

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook