What cause a phase shift between Ex and Ey of a polarized EM wave?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
yungman
Messages
5,741
Reaction score
291
In EM wave polarization. Where is linear polarization where [tex]\gamma[/tex] =0 or [tex]\pi[/tex] . [tex]\gamma[/tex] = +/- 45 deg and amplitude of Ex and Ey are equal to give circular polization etc.

My question is why there are different angle of [tex]\gamma[/tex] on the first place? If you set the reference at x direction for E wave and y direction of H wave, you would never have polarization because there is no Ey component to speak of.

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
yungman said:
In EM wave polarization. Where is linear polarization where [tex]\gamma[/tex] =0 or [tex]\pi[/tex] . [tex]\gamma[/tex] = +/- 45 deg and amplitude of Ex and Ey are equal to give circular polization etc.

My question is why there are different angle of [tex]\gamma[/tex] on the first place? If you set the reference at x direction for E wave and y direction of H wave, you would never have polarization because there is no Ey component to speak of.

Thanks

Birefringence arising from anisotropy?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birefringence

Eugene Hecht's Optics (probably on the third or fourth edition) is a standard optics textbook that covers this, and is probably available in your university's library.
 
Thanks, I was hoping I can get some simple answers...This is way over my head! !

I am studying mainly microwave and antenna. I do not even want to touch optics. If you have any opinion about electronics, I would love to hear it...Like why the wave travel down a coax is circulation polarization?

Thanks