1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What cause a phase shift between Ex and Ey of a polarized EM wave?

1. Dec 27, 2008 #1
    In EM wave polarization. Where is linear polarization where [tex]\gamma[/tex] =0 or [tex]\pi[/tex] . [tex]\gamma[/tex] = +/- 45 deg and amplitude of Ex and Ey are equal to give circular polization etc.

My question is why there are different angle of [tex]\gamma[/tex] on the first place? If you set the reference at x direction for E wave and y direction of H wave, you would never have polarization because there is no Ey component to speak of.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2009 #2
    Any opinion?
  4. Jan 9, 2009 #3

Science Advisor

Birefringence arising from anisotropy?

Eugene Hecht's Optics (probably on the third or fourth edition) is a standard optics textbook that covers this, and is probably available in your university's library.
  5. Jan 9, 2009 #4
    Thanks, I was hoping I can get some simple answers.....This is way over my head!!!:surprised!!!

I am studying mainly microwave and antenna. I do not even want to touch optics. If you have any opinion about electronics, I would love to hear it.....Like why the wave travel down a coax is circulation polarization?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?