What caused the exceptional sound quality of Stradivarius violins?

• Thread starter Tenshou
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Education
In summary, the conversation delves into the purpose of education in today's society. The participants discuss the role of education in providing knowledge and skills, as well as the formalization and accreditation of these skills through standardized tests and grading systems. They also touch on the importance of creativity and innate curiosity in learning, as well as the potential limitations of the current education system. The conversation concludes with a discussion on the societal pressure and expectations placed on individuals to excel in school.
Tenshou
What is the purpose of education in this day and age? Do we learn because we are expected to learn, become educated to be the leaders of tomorrow or is their more? I think as humans we have an innate curiosity a willingness to learn. I was recently watching a video by a fellow named Noam Chomsky, and this video was talking about a recent topic I posted, but it also elaborated a little more. How are we suppose to learn? I apologize if this seems to philosophical, I think it is just a general curiosity talking about the purpose of education in today's society, again forgive me if this seems to philosophical. I am not sure how to phrase a discussion on this topic in any other way.

Physics news on Phys.org
Tenshou said:
What is the purpose of education in this day and age?
The same as it always was: instinct can be passed down genetically, but knowledge cannot.

This is true this is why we record historical events, I think it is more than just knowledge I mean apes and some monkeys pass down this so called knowledge, but why do we need education in this age, the age of information.

Just because you have an "information", doesn't mean you know what to do with it.

Here is F=ma. Now, go build me a house.

Zz.

haha wisdom, true wisdom zapper. This is true, Noam was saying something about this in that video. I do think creativity doesn't need schooling though, just like a good house doesn't need to be lavishly decorated. you can do a whole lot of "learning" without proper schooling :)

Tenshou said:
This is true this is why we record historical events, I think it is more than just knowledge I mean apes and some monkeys pass down this so called knowledge, but why do we need education in this age, the age of information.

It has to do less with the means to acquire knowledge in this day and internet age, and more to do with the quantization and formalization of knowledge. Meaning that almost anyone can acquire any knowledge today, but how do you objectively quantify and classify and control the content and quality of that education or skill?

The answer is through a formal accredited educational system that scales education according to classes, grades, and standardized tests. So, in effect, the utility of the educational institution is really to qualify and accredit skill sets as opposed to providing knowledge, which may have have been more of its principle role in previous times.

Tenshou said:
haha wisdom, true wisdom zapper. This is true, Noam was saying something about this in that video. I do think creativity doesn't need schooling though, just like a good house doesn't need to be lavishly decorated. you can do a whole lot of "learning" without proper schooling :)

Says who? Are you using the exception to be the rule?

So find a creative person and ask him/her to solve for the mechanism responsible for superconductivity in High-Tc superconductors.

Zz.

Tenshou said:
Some schooling IS necessary, or at a minimum, most folks need to learn from someone who has done it. These days, the more eduction one has, the better.

DiracPool said:
It has to do less with the means to acquire knowledge in this day and internet age, and more to do with the quantization and formalization of knowledge. Meaning that almost anyone can acquire any knowledge today, but how do you objectively quantify and classify and control the content and quality of that education or skill?

The answer is through a formal accredited educational system that scales education according to classes, grades, and standardized tests. So, in effect, the utility of the educational institution is really to qualify and accredit skill sets as opposed to providing knowledge, which may have have been more of its principle role in previous times.

I do think skills are necessary to be learned. The quality of the educational system, if that is what you are talking about is depended on up bringing in a stable house holds and social-economical-political backgrounds, in other words, a privileged up bringing. before I get to far ahead of my self do you think you could clear up what you said in the first paragraph? Although, I think that skill sets taught are not necessary for gaining knowledge, but they are necessary for being set on the right path to learning, also is an innate talent for learning need, the tenshou, if I may use such a word for wanting to learn and gain knowledge. Formal school system don't seem, to me any way, that if you want to learn something useful pursue something you love. The schooling systems do not promote pursuing something you love, better yet to challenge the status quote.

ZapperZ said:
Says who? Are you using the exception to be the rule?

So find a creative person and ask him/her to solve for the mechanism responsible for superconductivity in High-Tc superconductors.

Zz.

None of us are exception to the rules, we are all unique and special in our own way. I am pretty sure that some creative person will come along, if they haven't already given up to solve the big problems in the world. The schooling system can be brutal, just because a person didn't get an A+ in their geometry class.

Tenshou said:
None of us are exception to the rules, we are all unique and special in our own way. I am pretty sure that some creative person will come along, if they haven't already given up to solve the big problems in the world. The schooling system can be brutal, just because a person didn't get an A+ in their geometry class.

You do realize that you are making a lot of handwaving argument here, don't you? It means that you make many of these statements without anything to validate them.

I asked you to build a house using F=ma, you can't. I asked you to find a creative person who didn't have any schooling background to solve for the High-Tc problem. There isn't any. So really, what is left on the validity of your original post in this thread? I see none.

Zz.

Tenshou said:
What is the purpose of education in this day and age?

Cutting to the nub, my response to this question is that it accredits and quantifies a body of knowledge or skill set to some individual. That's it. It says nothing about what someone actually knows or what someones potential is. It simply says, we "this institution" vouch that this individual has jumped through the necessary hoops and passed the qualifying tests that says he/she knows such and such about this or that topic.

ZapperZ said:
You do realize that you are making a lot of handwaving argument here, don't you? It means that you make many of these statements without anything to validate them.

I asked you to build a house using F=ma, you can't. I asked you to find a creative person who didn't have any schooling background to solve for the High-Tc problem. There isn't any. So really, what is left on the validity of your original post in this thread? I see none.

Zz.

Okay, okay you got me, but like I said "learning" as in acquisition of knowledge doesn't need formal schooling, but just a curious person who is yet creative. how many apes did it take to learn how to crack a nut? as many that could figure it out. I can't just go out and find a person who knows about high temp superconductivity, you need just more than a formula to build a house, you need the supplies, the funding! the validity of the thread lies with in the search to why formal public schooling systems are needed, and how does formal education in such a facility get you to solve problems like building a house out of then air :rofl:

ZapperZ said:
I asked you to build a house using F=ma, you can't.
This is a very bad example. It implies no one was able to build any houses or buildings before Newton. In fact, no carpenter today ever uses F=ma in building a house.

In another vein, people were developing and making extremely fine musical instruments before anyone had sorted out the physics of sound, just by trial and error. Stradivarius had no idea that velocity=wavelength times frequency, nor did he know Hooke's Law and it wouldn't have helped him to know them.

The other example you used was more to the point.

zoobyshoe said:
..., nor did he know Hooke's Law and it wouldn't have helped him to know them.

It could have helped him to understand them though.

mindheavy said:
It could have helped him to understand them though.
Indeed, but he got somewhere with trial and error that modern physicists with their advanced analytical abilities have still not gotten. He created a varnish that made some of his violins the best in existence. Science still cannot recreate it.

The television, on the other hand, could never have been created by trial and error without physics.

so are you saying something about experience zooby? if so I think I might have to agree with you. trial and error of a teacher who can teacher the right way such that people do not fall into the same errors that they have made(the teacher), progress my friend is not made during school, but in the progress of learning.

Sorry, you have been given the answer to why we need education. In a nutshell, we aren't born educated and need to be taught. Further speculation falls into philosophy and as you have been told repeatedly, there are many philosophy forums on the internet where you can speculate all you want.

zoobyshoe said:
Indeed, but he got somewhere with trial and error that modern physicists with their advanced analytical abilities have still not gotten. He created a varnish that made some of his violins the best in existence. Science still cannot recreate it.

The television, on the other hand, could never have been created by trial and error without physics.
I saw a ducumentary on this zoob, and it is believed it was the wood he used. It was wood grown during the maunder minimum.

Instruments crafted from the late 17th century onwards by revered violin maker Antonio Stradivari sell for millions of dollars today, and musicians and scientists have long sought to explain their superb sound quality.

Now, American scientists have come up with a possible explanation: A dramatic European cold spell may have enhanced the quality of wood from which the instruments were crafted.

A sharp dip in temperatures between 1645 and 1715 coincided with a reduction in sunspots and the sun's overall activity known as the Maunder Minimum. Researchers say those factors may have slowed tree growth, thereby creating the ideal building material for violins later manufactured.

The research is described in the current issue of the tree ring science journal Dendrochronologia.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/01/0107_040107_violin.html

1. What is the purpose of education?

The purpose of education is to provide individuals with the knowledge, skills, and tools necessary to become productive members of society, to fulfill their potential, and to contribute to the betterment of their communities.

2. How does education benefit society?

Education benefits society in many ways. It helps to create a more informed and engaged citizenry, promotes social and economic mobility, fosters critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and drives innovation and progress in various fields.

3. What role do teachers play in education?

Teachers play a crucial role in education. They are responsible for imparting knowledge, cultivating critical thinking skills, and fostering a love of learning in their students. They also serve as role models and mentors, helping students develop important social and emotional skills.

4. Is the purpose of education the same for everyone?

No, the purpose of education may vary for different individuals depending on their personal goals and aspirations. Some may seek education to gain specific skills for a particular job, while others may value education for personal growth and development.

5. How does education impact the economy?

Education has a significant impact on the economy. It helps to create a skilled workforce, drives innovation and technological advancements, and contributes to economic growth and stability. It also plays a role in reducing poverty and income inequality.