What caused the recent earthquake in England?

• Thread starter matthyaouw
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Earthquake
In summary: I am not entirely sure. I think it has something to do with the soil, but I am not entirely sure.In summary, an earthquake of 5.3 magnitude has shaken homes in England. There was no damage reported, but the shaking caused some concern among those who felt it.
matthyaouw
Gold Member
The biggest earthquake in the UK for nearly 25 years has shaken homes across large parts of England.

People in Newcastle, Yorkshire, London, Manchester, the Midlands and Norfolk and also parts of Wales, felt the tremor just before 0100 GMT.

A man suffered leg injuries when a chimney collapsed in South Yorkshire.

The British Geological Survey (BGS) said the epicentre of the 5.3 magnitude quake was near Market Rasen, Lincolnshire

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7266136.stm

Wow, that was about 30 miles from my house. No damage, but certainly a shock to wake up to. Did anyone else feel it?

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Wow i felt it to, in Nottingham at around one o'clock in the morning it last for around 20-30 seconds. I woke up to severe shaking. I wonder were the earthquake happened or the tectonic plates just moved a couple of cm.

matthyaouw said:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7266136.stm

Wow, that was about 30 miles from my house. No damage, but certainly a shock to wake up to. Did anyone else feel it?

I felt one a couple of years ago it wasn't as strong but it was the same time (1 o'clock in the morning) and it lasted around 25 seconds and it also struck the same area's.

Wow, i felt it to but in Nottingham at around one o'clock in the morning it last for around 20-30 seconds. :zzz:I woke up to severe shaking. I wonder where the earthquake happened or the tectonic plates just moved a couple of cm. Scary!

It was just near Market Rasen in Lincolnshire. Probably just a small slip along a largely inactive fault, but the BGS haven't really said.
You can read their report here: http://www.earthquakes.bgs.ac.uk/recent_events/uk_special/market_rasen_27_feb_2008.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in Newcastle and I was awake at 1am and I felt nothing. I live on a hill though, but I don't think that should make any difference.

First of all, I felt nothing where I live in Central London.

Secondly however, there has been a lot of discussion in the workplace here about who felt what and where, and my preliminary understanding is that some of the results are very worrying for the housing market.

I was still awake at 1am last night and felt something. At first I thought I was going a little crazy since it just felt like the bed and the wall were shaking for a few seconds. It was only when I caught the news today that I realized what I had felt was an earthquake!

Geez, a 4.7. Big deal.

- Warren

chroot said:
Geez, a 4.7. Big deal.

- Warren

:rofl: that's huge over here.

It's been a slow news decade you see...

london - vertical ripple in the wall

I was leaning against my bedroom wall (an internal wall, probably plasterboard) in North London, and I felt a vertical ripple move along the wall from North to South.

Also, the dressing-table mirror shook, for some time.

At the time, I thought it was caused by one of the mile-long heavy freight trains that sometimes shake the house.

Saw that yesterday- it made me laugh more than it should :biggrin:

Never having mastered the Etch-a-Skech myself, I find this to be a horrible effect of the quake!

For the next earthquake, if you pay atention to the sounds and the movement you may be able to detect the direction of the epicentre, the source of the waves.

nicky nichols said:
First of all, I felt nothing where I live in Central London.

Secondly however, there has been a lot of discussion in the workplace here about who felt what and where, and my preliminary understanding is that some of the results are very worrying for the housing market.

You wouldn't have felt it in central london, it didn't happen there.

amaq4 said:
You wouldn't have felt it in central london, it didn't happen there.

People were reporting the tremors for miles around including London.

matthyaouw said:

I felt it around 1:00 am

I was in London during that time and haven't felt it. The next day, we went to the epicenter in Market Rasen and nearby area Gainsborough to do some damage assessment survey. Interestingly, more damage is seen such as toppled chimneys in Gainsborough several kilometers away from epicenter market Rasen.

faux said:
I was in London during that time and haven't felt it. The next day, we went to the epicenter in Market Rasen and nearby area Gainsborough to do some damage assessment survey. Interestingly, more damage is seen such as toppled chimneys in Gainsborough several kilometers away from epicenter market Rasen.

Is the soil at Gainsborough more of a sandy structure than in Market Rasen?
The last earthquake near Pisco, Peru caused more damage there beacuse of the nature of the soil. Other places have withstood similar Ritcher degree with less damage.

1. What caused the earthquake in England?

The earthquake in England was caused by tectonic plates shifting beneath the Earth's surface. This is a natural occurrence that happens frequently around the world.

2. How strong was the earthquake in England?

The strength of an earthquake is measured on the Richter scale. The earthquake in England was measured at a magnitude of 3.9, which is considered a minor earthquake and is not expected to cause major damage.

3. Are earthquakes common in England?

Earthquakes are not as common in England as they are in other parts of the world, such as the Pacific Ring of Fire. However, the UK does experience small earthquakes every year, with some being felt by the population.

4. Was there any damage or injuries caused by the earthquake in England?

As the earthquake in England was minor, there were no reports of significant damage or injuries. However, some people may have felt the tremors and there may have been some minor structural damage in the epicenter area.

5. Can earthquakes be predicted?

Unfortunately, earthquakes cannot be predicted with certainty. Scientists are constantly studying seismic activity and trying to understand patterns, but at this time, there is no way to accurately predict when or where an earthquake will occur.