What causes instabilities in tokamaks?

• Thread starter chandrahas
  • Start date
In summary, the lecture discusses the two primary instabilities that tokamaks face and how plasma current may play a role in them.
chandrahas
As far as I know, almost all kinds of instabilities are suppressed in a tokamak. The only problem I see is that the poloidal field diminishes as we move further out from the plasma. This configurations hence can't suppress ELM's. But does the current passing through the plasma cause instabilities? I mean, I can't think of any but feel like the plasma current creates instabilities.

• So, I was wondering what kinds of instabilities tokamaks face and what causes them? And does plasma current play a role in instabilities?
Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
At slide 32 it begins a discussion of instabilities. http://cds.cern.ch/record/1344490?ln=en

The two primary instabilities appear to be:
1) Ideal
2) Resistive

From the lecture, the ideal instability produce field line bending and the resistive tear and allow reconnection of magnetic field lines where from an earlier part of the lecture discusses "magnetic islands" form.

The causes seem to be either the twisting of field lines or the breaking of field lines.

I hope this launches you in the right direction and maybe will help kick-start more discussion.

I always look forward to The_Wolfman's insights on this topic.

Oh. Ok.. sorry took me a while to respond, thought this was dead.

So I am watching what you referred to, but why don't we use alternating electric and magnetic fields to confine the plasma rather than static magnetic fields? I mean like a paul trap but a modified verson of it to hold in both electrons, deuterium, tritium. Is this Idea flawed in anyway? Wouldn't this eliminate many instabilities?

chandrahas said:
So I am watching what you referred to, but why don't we use alternating electric and magnetic fields to confine the plasma rather than static magnetic fields? I mean like a paul trap but a modified verson of it to hold in both electrons, deuterium, tritium. Is this Idea flawed in anyway? Wouldn't this eliminate many instabilities?
Well stability seems to be primarily dependent upon the aspect ratio and triangularity of the plasma first and foremost.

I'm trying to understand all this myself from start to finish so it helps to discuss this, my first glance into the question you asked seems to relate to the quantitative results of plasma fusion which dictate that aspect ratio and triangularity of the plasma is important.

In a paul trap the geometry of the fields seems to be completely different, so the question may not be "why not use..." but may rather be "can the paul trap be used instead?" in which case it looks like the tokamak idea would be unrelated because of how the plasma is stable and fusing within this "deltoid" ring parallel with the toroidal field.

I'm starting to read about the complex reasons that aspect ratio and the deltoid (triangular) shape of the plasma matters, it has a lot to do with the bannana, plateau and pfirsch-schlueter regimes that form the currents(?) within the plasma that the species diffuse into.

So these structures are all integral to the fusion process, and doesn't seem to be produceable from the paul trap. The alternating current likely can't sustain or produce these structures or this type of confinement?

1. What is a tokamak and how does it work?

A tokamak is a device used to create and maintain a plasma, which is a hot, ionized gas, for the purpose of controlling nuclear fusion reactions. It consists of a toroidal (doughnut-shaped) chamber surrounded by powerful magnets that confine and shape the plasma. The plasma is heated to extremely high temperatures using radio waves, microwaves, or particle beams, and the resulting fusion reactions release large amounts of energy.

2. What is instability in a tokamak and why is it a problem?

Instability in a tokamak refers to any deviation from the desired state of the plasma, such as fluctuations in temperature, density, or shape. These instabilities can disrupt the confinement of the plasma and prevent it from reaching the necessary conditions for fusion reactions to occur. This is a major challenge in the development of fusion energy because it can lead to energy loss and damage to the tokamak components.

3. What are the main causes of instabilities in tokamaks?

The main causes of instabilities in tokamaks are related to the complex interplay between the plasma and the surrounding magnetic fields. These include disruptions in the plasma current, fluctuations in the magnetic field strength, and interactions between different plasma particles. Other factors such as impurities in the plasma and instabilities in the plasma edge can also contribute to instabilities.

4. How do scientists study and control instabilities in tokamaks?

Scientists use a variety of diagnostic tools to study instabilities in tokamaks, including magnetic probes, laser interferometry, and X-ray imaging. This helps them to understand the behavior of the plasma and identify potential sources of instability. To control instabilities, researchers can adjust the magnetic field configuration, inject additional particles into the plasma, or use special heating techniques to stabilize the plasma.

5. What are some current research efforts aimed at reducing instabilities in tokamaks?

There are ongoing research efforts around the world to address instabilities in tokamaks and make fusion energy a viable source of clean and sustainable energy. Some approaches include developing advanced control algorithms, designing new magnetic configurations, and improving plasma heating methods. Additionally, experiments are being conducted with different types of fusion fuels, such as deuterium-tritium and helium-3, to better understand and mitigate instabilities in fusion reactions.