Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What causes the strings to vibrate?

1. Jul 28, 2007 #1
    From what I gather string theory states that everything is made of tiny vibrating strings or bands. But what force or energy causes these strings to constantly vibrate?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2007 #2

bel

They vibrate because they obey the Heisenberg's uncertainy principle, i.e., due to what is sometimes called zero-point energy, I think.

4. Jul 28, 2007 #3
    It's the same as asking "what made the big bang explode"? the simple answer is we don't know and might never know.

5. Jul 29, 2007 #4
    Polar Vibrations

I know that in other fields waves with opposite frequncies cancel or wash each other out. If two strings with polar vibrations came into contact with each other, would they cancel each other out? If so, what would happen to the-sub atomic particles made up of these cancelled out strings?

6. Jul 30, 2007 #5

Demystifier

Science Advisor

It has nothing to do with Heisenberg uncertainty principle. Classical strings may vibrate too. Just like in the big-bang question, the question reduces to: Why God/Nature has chosen nontrivial initial conditions. I think the question is rather trivial.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?