Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What counts as an observation in QM?

1. Dec 28, 2012 #1
    Hi I was day dreaming the other day when I realized how incomplete and vague the fundamental postulates of QM are, I mean what counts as an observation?
    For example simply being in the presence of a charged particle can be an observation, since (using a point particle for the sake of argument) then I can feel the electric force and deduce how far the particle is from me and which direction it must be in.
    If this were to be a proper observation, then by that logic every electron and proton observes every other one.
    Another problem I have is that the notion of an observation is not a very physically sound one, I can deduce many things without directly measuring them, for example I can deduce that everybody who will reply to this thread is on earth, however I did not go ahead and measure that. With this I can go ahead and put limitations on how accurately your momentums can be measured.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 28, 2012 #2

Demystifier

Science Advisor

4. Dec 28, 2012 #3
    Why post links to articles that cannot be read online for free ? and the title does not sound like a consensual position.

The concept of observation in QM indeed first appears as fuzzy and undefined. But it is only so as long as you keep applying the equations to a small isolated system. In fact it turns out to be quasi-unambiguously "defined" as a macroscopic limit of the properties of a non-isolated system exchanging a large quantity of information (entropy) with the outside. This is the process called decoherence.

In my introduction to quantum physics I describe the mathematical structure of quantum states and measurements in a simple way I did not find so clearly expressed elsewhere, while staying rigorously equivalent to the established things (density matrix).

5. Dec 29, 2012 #4
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook