1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What current will allow the wire to float ?

1. Oct 22, 2007 #1
    What current will allow the wire to "float"?

The linked image is a cross section through three long wires with linear mass density 50 g/m. They each carry equal currents in the directions shown. The lower two wires are 4.0 cm apart and are attached to a table. What current I will allow the upper wire to "float" so as to form an equilateral triangle with the lower wires?

The force that the upper wire feels is a combined force from the two other wires and the normal force of gravity. I am just not sure how to calculate the normal force of gravity with the linear mass density. Also the current that is needed will have to produce a magnetic field that combined equals the force downward on the wire from gravity, correct?

The equation for the force between two wires carrying identical currents with an unknown length is
    F/L= ([tex]\mu[/tex]I)/([tex]\mu[/tex]r)

For gravity

F= m*9.8m/s

i have a linear mass density of 50g/m.. I can take and divide both sides by L to get

F/L = (m*9.8m/s)/L but I'm afraid that doesn't help me.. Hmmm. Ill keep trying. Please any hints are helpful

Last edited: Oct 22, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2007 #2
    Please Help me out. I am missing something but i cant seem to connect the dots

4. Oct 22, 2007 #3

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you have a linear density of M kg/m then you have a force of 9.8M N/m.
    So F=9.8*0.05 N/m= 0.49N/m

5. Oct 23, 2007 #4
    so then i can set that force equal to the force between the wires and solve for I.
    I get a value of 49kA when i do this.. this seems like a lot but it would also seem that an enormous amount of current would be needed to overcome the force of gravity. let me know what you think.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?