What do I do to get the net force

In summary, the conversation is about finding the net work done on a mincemeat pie sliding down a ramp with a mass of 1.020 x 10³ kg, a length of 18.0m, and an angle of 10.0°. The coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.13 and the equation for work is used to calculate the net force. Further instructions are given to draw a free body diagram and sum forces to find the final answer.
elitespart
This is the question I am given:

The largest mincemeat pie ever created had a mass of 1.020 x 10³ kg. Suppose that a pie with this mass slides down a ramp that is 18.0m long and is inclined to the ground by 10.0°. If the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.13, what is the net work done on the pie during its decent.

Ok, we just started this unit. So I know the equation for work. the displacement is 18m and the angle is 10.0°. What do I do to get the net force and how do I make the coefficient come into this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
since you are on to work then you know how to sum forces correct? Draw out the free body diagram, sum forces, once you have the forces summed I think you know where to go with it. If not let me know.

no i don't think I am gettin it. can u give a few more clues. thx

ok I am gettin 327.23 J but i highly doubt it's right

Last edited:

What do I do to get the net force?

The net force is the overall force acting on an object. To calculate the net force, you need to add up all the individual forces acting on the object.

What is the formula for net force?

The formula for net force is Fnet = ma, where Fnet is the net force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration. This formula is also known as Newton's Second Law of Motion.

How do I find the direction of the net force?

To find the direction of the net force, you need to consider the direction of each individual force. If the forces are acting in the same direction, the net force will also be in that direction. If the forces are acting in opposite directions, you need to subtract the smaller force from the larger force to determine the direction of the net force.

What factors affect the net force?

The net force is affected by the magnitude and direction of the individual forces acting on an object. It is also affected by the mass and acceleration of the object.

Can the net force be zero?

Yes, the net force can be zero if all the individual forces acting on an object are balanced. This means that the forces are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction, resulting in a net force of zero.