What do radial bearing and pressure bearing mean in physics?

In summary, "radial bearing" and "pressure bearing" are terms used in physics to describe types of bearings that support against different types of forces. A radial bearing supports against radial forces, while a pressure bearing (also known as a thrust bearing) supports against forces along the shaft axis. The picture provided shows an example of a radial bearing and a pressure bearing in use.
Femme_physics
Gold Member
What do "radial bearing" and "pressure bearing" mean in physics?

(This is NOT a homework question)

I am told that this board is supported by two bearings: Radial bearing C, and pressure bearing O. Then they write something I can't even begin to translate, it looks as though it's written in really bad Hebrew, and over-technical language for our level. I'll try to translate it:

The pressure bearing from the cable added to the radial forces the forces acting acting along the y axis.

http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/4516/thehelle.jpg

What do "radial bearing" and "pressure bearing" mean in physics?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

I believe a radial bearing is just a standard bearing that supports against radial forces, while a pressure bearing (more often called a thrust bearing) is designed to take a force along the shaft axis as well.

I think EWH is correct. So a pressure bearing would for example be for the shaft of a blender used for baking, and a radial bearing would be for the driveshaft of a car.

To make it more obvious from the picture look at what happens when you put a weight on that platform. The rope between B and D is offset from the Y axis. So the weight will create a force pulling C away from the wall while O is pressed tight against the wall (Though there are many other counter forces as well). Without bearing C it would rotate away from the wall and O is merely being compressed against the wall. Hence the radial and pressure labels.

Since the distance between O and B is greater than O and A (113.137) the greater the distance between O and D the more free it will be to rotate without the bearings to prevent it. It comes down the the fact that a force exist pulling C away from the wall rotating the platform (radial bearing), but O will not.

Last edited by a moderator:

If you are specifying the forces provided by the bearings on the shaft OC, then the vectors at O look correct, but the vectors at C should only be the two perpendicular to the one you drew (xz).

Ah, so radial means it allows movement at Y, not denies movement just at Y. Now
I get it. Thanks :smile:

1. What is a radial bearing in physics?

A radial bearing is a type of mechanical bearing that supports radial loads, or forces perpendicular to the axis of rotation. It allows for smooth rotation of a shaft by minimizing friction between the rotating and stationary parts.

2. How does a radial bearing work?

A radial bearing typically consists of an inner and outer ring with rolling elements, such as balls or rollers, sandwiched in between. The rolling elements allow for smooth rotation while the inner and outer rings provide support and guide the movement of the rotating shaft.

3. What is the difference between a radial bearing and a pressure bearing?

A radial bearing supports radial loads, while a pressure bearing supports axial loads, or forces parallel to the axis of rotation. Additionally, pressure bearings typically have a larger contact surface area compared to radial bearings, allowing them to support heavier loads.

4. How are radial bearings and pressure bearings used in real-world applications?

Radial bearings are commonly used in machines and equipment that require rotational movement, such as motors, pumps, and fans. Pressure bearings are often used in applications that require heavy loads to be supported, such as in bridges, cranes, and hydraulic systems.

5. Are there any disadvantages to using radial bearings and pressure bearings?

One disadvantage of using radial bearings is that they are susceptible to misalignment, which can cause increased friction and premature wear. Pressure bearings, on the other hand, can experience high levels of stress and may require frequent maintenance or replacement in heavy load applications.