Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What do radial bearing and pressure bearing mean in physics?

1. Jul 3, 2011 #1

Femme_physics

Gold Member

What do "radial bearing" and "pressure bearing" mean in physics?

(This is NOT a homework question)

I am told that this board is supported by two bearings: Radial bearing C, and pressure bearing O. Then they write something I can't even begin to translate, it looks as though it's written in really bad Hebrew, and over-technical language for our level. I'll try to translate it:

The pressure bearing from the cable added to the radial forces the forces acting acting along the y axis.

http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/4516/thehelle.jpg [Broken]

What do "radial bearing" and "pressure bearing" mean in physics?

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 4, 2011 #2

EWH

Re: What do "radial bearing" and "pressure bearing" mean in physics?

I believe a radial bearing is just a standard bearing that supports against radial forces, while a pressure bearing (more often called a thrust bearing) is designed to take a force along the shaft axis as well.

4. Jul 4, 2011 #3

I think EWH is correct. So a pressure bearing would for example be for the shaft of a blender used for baking, and a radial bearing would be for the driveshaft of a car.

5. Jul 4, 2011 #4

To make it more obvious from the picture look at what happens when you put a weight on that platform. The rope between B and D is offset from the Y axis. So the weight will create a force pulling C away from the wall while O is pressed tight against the wall (Though there are many other counter forces as well). Without bearing C it would rotate away from the wall and O is merely being compressed against the wall. Hence the radial and pressure labels.

Since the distance between O and B is greater than O and A (113.137) the greater the distance between O and D the more free it will be to rotate without the bearings to prevent it. It comes down the the fact that a force exist pulling C away from the wall rotating the platform (radial bearing), but O will not.

6. Jul 5, 2011 #5

Femme_physics

Gold Member

Let me see if I get it straight with vector notation

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/8921/withyous.jpg [Broken]

Forget whether it's the right direction or not, that I'll get in calculation. But in terms of numbers of vectors, did I get it right?

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  7. Jul 5, 2011 #6

EWH

If you are specifying the forces provided by the bearings on the shaft OC, then the vectors at O look correct, but the vectors at C should only be the two perpendicular to the one you drew (xz).

8. Jul 5, 2011 #7

Femme_physics

Gold Member

Ah, so radial means it allows movement at Y, not denies movement just at Y. Now
    I get it. Thanks :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook