Finding Creative Uses for Excess Styrofoam Packaging: Any Suggestions?

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses what to do with a large amount of styrofoam peanuts received from online shopping. Suggestions include recycling, selling them on Craigslist, giving them away on Freecycle, using them as packaging material for future shipments, or mailing them to friends or family. The conversation also touches on some unusual eating habits seen on a TV show, and veers off-topic briefly before returning to the main topic.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
So I got a couple packages from newegg the last few days so of course, I have an abundance of those styrofoam peanuts they use for packaging. I hate throwing away large volumes worth of stuff, but I figure the one thing I could do with it, saving it in case I ship something later, seems very impractical (where do I store giant bags of syrofoam?).

Does anyone have any ideas what I should do with this stuff? Do places recycle this stuff?

The boxes are easy enough to deal with. Ever since I started ordering online frequently, I just disassemble the boxes and tuck them away in a closet. I could have a good 30 boxes all in a nice 5" flat collection

DISCUSS!

Physics news on Phys.org
https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=3407153&postcount=10116

Evo said:
Anyone watch "my strange addiction"? This woman eats her couch cushions. The other woman eats household cleaners. Another eats pottery and ashes.

On TLC right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pengwuino said:
So I got a couple packages from newegg the last few days so of course, I have an abundance of those styrofoam peanuts they use for packaging. I hate throwing away large volumes worth of stuff, but I figure the one thing I could do with it, saving it in case I ship something later, seems very impractical (where do I store giant bags of syrofoam?).

Does anyone have any ideas what I should do with this stuff? Do places recycle this stuff?

The boxes are easy enough to deal with. Ever since I started ordering online frequently, I just disassemble the boxes and tuck them away in a closet. I could have a good 30 boxes all in a nice 5" flat collection

DISCUSS!

Oh Pengy Bird, you just made my day, turns out that someone (from Austria) is interested in buying a ton of new motorcycle parts, and I could use them to safely pack them for their abusive (I am sure of that) trip overseas. Do you take PayPal ?

Rhody... :tongue2:

i would maybe do something like see how many i could dissolve in cup of liquid hydrocarbon.

then i would have another problem to consider.

Just put them on Craigslist. Then, down the road, when you need some to ship something, just look on Craigslist.

I usually just dump them in a pond or river.

Evo said:

This response makes my day!

Proton Soup said:
i would maybe do something like see how many i could dissolve in cup of liquid hydrocarbon.

This response was my first thought.

zoobyshoe said:
Just put them on Craigslist. Then, down the road, when you need some to ship something, just look on Craigslist.

This response was my more practical second thought. But don't people always say you should go with your first thought?

Evo said:

Ok Evo.

Hand over the ban gun and go take a nap.

KingNothing said:
I usually just dump them in a pond or river.

Done.

physics girl phd said:
This response was my more practical second thought. But don't people always say you should go with your first thought?
I don't think there's enough prison space for everyone to be going around going with their first thought.

http://www.freecycle.org/" them. Someone will take them very quickly.

Find a local business that ships delicate items or parts. They will gladly take the peanuts off your hands, instead of buying them from a supplier.

I have bought a number of items from Amazon lately, and they use the strings of inflated plastic cushions instead of foam peanuts or bubble-wrap. Much nicer! I can take out my knife and slash them and put them in with my plastic recyclables.

turbo-1 said:
Find a local business that ships delicate items or parts. They will gladly take the peanuts off your hands, instead of buying them from a supplier.
Be sure to pack them securely before sending them.

turbo-1 said:

I have bought a number of items from Amazon lately, and they use the strings of inflated plastic cushions instead of foam peanuts or bubble-wrap. Much nicer! I can take out my knife and slash them and put them in with my plastic recyclables.

Jimmy Snyder said:
Be sure to pack them securely before sending them.

The strings of inflated plastic cushions are perfect for protecting the styrofoam peanuts during shipping. Except instead of shipping them to a local business, I usually mail them to some random family member or friend - or not so randomly pick the family member or friend with the nearest birthday. Styrofoam peanuts and inflatable cushions are very light and mailing them to someone is the cheapest disposal method available.

BobG said:
The strings of inflated plastic cushions are perfect for protecting the styrofoam peanuts during shipping. Except instead of shipping them to a local business, I usually mail them to some random family member or friend. Styrofoam peanuts and inflatable cushions are very light and mailing them to someone is the cheapest disposable method available.
Brilliant!

This thread has degraded off the Foamy Deep End... MODS! (pengy credit given)

Rhody... :eek:

OK, now I am verklempt! Discuss amongst yourselves.

turbo-1 said:
OK, now I am verklempt! Discuss amongst yourselves.

I had to look that one up: Verklempt - choked with emotion, and to make matters worse to invoke "Discuss" giving credit to the bird that started this thread ! I would have bet that by now this thread would be well on its way to being DEAD (a Rhodyism). I was wrong on that count TOO.

Rhody... :redface:

1. How can I recycle styrofoam?

Styrofoam can be recycled at certain facilities that accept expanded polystyrene foam (EPS). Check with your local recycling center or search for a recycling location near you.

2. Can I reuse styrofoam?

Yes, styrofoam can be reused multiple times. It is a durable material and can be easily cleaned and repurposed for various projects.

3. Is styrofoam biodegradable?

No, styrofoam is not biodegradable. It is made from a petroleum-based plastic and can take hundreds of years to break down in the environment.

4. How can I safely dispose of styrofoam?

If you are unable to recycle or reuse styrofoam, it is best to dispose of it in the regular trash. However, make sure to check with your local waste management guidelines as some areas may have specific regulations for styrofoam disposal.

5. What are the environmental impacts of styrofoam?

Styrofoam is not biodegradable and can have negative impacts on the environment when not properly disposed of. It can also release harmful chemicals when burned, contributing to air pollution. Therefore, it is important to reduce our use of styrofoam and properly recycle or reuse it when possible.