Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What do with styrofoam

1. Jul 19, 2011 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

So I got a couple packages from newegg the last few days so of course, I have an abundance of those styrofoam peanuts they use for packaging. I hate throwing away large volumes worth of stuff, but I figure the one thing I could do with it, saving it in case I ship something later, seems very impractical (where do I store giant bags of syrofoam?).

Does anyone have any ideas what I should do with this stuff? Do places recycle this stuff?

The boxes are easy enough to deal with. Ever since I started ordering online frequently, I just disassemble the boxes and tuck them away in a closet. I could have a good 30 boxes all in a nice 5" flat collection

DISCUSS!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2011 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=3407153&postcount=10116 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  4. Jul 19, 2011 #3

rhody

Gold Member

Oh Pengy Bird, you just made my day, turns out that someone (from Austria) is interested in buying a ton of new motorcycle parts, and I could use them to safely pack them for their abusive (I am sure of that) trip overseas. Do you take PayPal ?

Rhody... :tongue2:

5. Jul 19, 2011 #4
    i would maybe do something like see how many i could dissolve in cup of liquid hydrocarbon.

then i would have another problem to consider.

6. Jul 19, 2011 #5
    Just put them on Craigslist. Then, down the road, when you need some to ship something, just look on Craigslist.

7. Jul 19, 2011 #6
    I usually just dump them in a pond or river.

8. Jul 19, 2011 #7
    This response makes my day!

This response was my first thought.

This response was my more practical second thought. But don't people always say you should go with your first thought?

9. Jul 19, 2011 #8

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Ok Evo.

Hand over the ban gun and go take a nap.

Done.

10. Jul 20, 2011 #9
    I don't think there's enough prison space for everyone to be going around going with their first thought.

11. Jul 20, 2011 #10

Borg

Gold Member

http://www.freecycle.org/" [Broken] them. Someone will take them very quickly.

12. Jul 20, 2011 #11

turbo

Gold Member

Find a local business that ships delicate items or parts. They will gladly take the peanuts off your hands, instead of buying them from a supplier.

I have bought a number of items from Amazon lately, and they use the strings of inflated plastic cushions instead of foam peanuts or bubble-wrap. Much nicer! I can take out my knife and slash them and put them in with my plastic recyclables.

13. Jul 20, 2011 #12
    Be sure to pack them securely before sending them.

14. Jul 20, 2011 #13

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The strings of inflated plastic cushions are perfect for protecting the styrofoam peanuts during shipping. Except instead of shipping them to a local business, I usually mail them to some random family member or friend - or not so randomly pick the family member or friend with the nearest birthday. Styrofoam peanuts and inflatable cushions are very light and mailing them to someone is the cheapest disposal method available.

15. Jul 20, 2011 #14

turbo

Gold Member

Brilliant!!

16. Jul 20, 2011 #15

rhody

Gold Member

This thread has degraded off the Foamy Deep End... MODS!!! (pengy credit given)

Rhody... :eek:

17. Jul 20, 2011 #16

turbo

Gold Member

OK, now I am verklempt! Discuss amongst yourselves.

18. Jul 20, 2011 #17

rhody

Gold Member

I had to look that one up: Verklempt - choked with emotion, and to make matters worse to invoke "Discuss" giving credit to the bird that started this thread ! I would have bet that by now this thread would be well on its way to being DEAD (a Rhodyism). I was wrong on that count TOO.

Rhody... :redface:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook