Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What Do You Call This Type of Hinge?

  1. Nov 15, 2012 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2012 #2
    Looks like a normal hinge with a detent for positioning.
  4. Nov 15, 2012 #3
    Yea I don't think it has a unique name. It uses a the principle of a cam to facilitate the poisitioning.
  5. Nov 15, 2012 #4
    I see. Can you give me some other examples that I could look up online?
  6. Nov 16, 2012 #5
    If I had to give it a name, I would call it a "spring detent hinge". Try searching variations such as, "cam detent hinge", or "multi-position hinge", etc.
  7. Nov 16, 2012 #6
    +1 for cam hinge
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook