What do you think about this statement I made up?

• Thread starter QuantumTheory
  • Start date
In summary: Most people who do are either very smart or very passionate about it. My grandpa, who has a degree in philosophy, is a christian preacher. So I'm not sure if I want to be a philosopher myself.
QuantumTheory
Please don't flame me on this. Don't get me wrong, I'm a very analyitcal person, just like you guys, but everytime I post something people tend to think I said I'm some super genius or something and be sarcastic with me. There are a lot of helpful people but please, constructive critism only. Is this really that hard? You can poke flaws etc and say I'm stupid and whatever, but at least make it constructive, I'm 17, at least I'm compassion about a lot of things, and have a strong curiosity for a lot most teenagers aren't this way. (Generally, at least none that I know of)

I'm very interested in philopshy. I wanted to study japanese and lingquistics, but I'm too afraid I'm only interested in video games to go there, which I'm sure I will get tired of if I don't get a good job. Its almost unheard of in japan, where discrimation is pretty bad for foreginers, unless you teach english.

What job can you get with philopshy? I like psychology but don't want to be a pscyhitrits or therapist etc, (please excuse my typing errors, its 1:33 AM and I'm tired). Likewise with philosphy. My grandpa had a degree in it but he's a christian preacher. I don't want to be a preacher

Ok here's a quote that I made up, I think its accurate:
One may have intelliience; but without passion and curiousity, it is useless.

I was interested in putting it in my signature for the playstation forums, but wanted to come here and get your opinion first. It seems correct to me. If you have really good emotional intelligence or believe in multiple intelligences etc it may help but my point is if you don't have an interest to learn anything and are really intelligent then its kinda beside the point? Of course you're gifted but when youre intelligent doesn't it mean you have a capacity to learn more, and retain more of it? But if you're don't want to learn anything, take anyones advice, or are not interestd or passionate, interestd in anything its a moot point

Simiarily,

If you're just an average or below average IQ (I have an iq of like 100) and you have a huge passion and interest in something, with a lot of work, you can learn a lot and be just better than the person who is intelligent but doesn't have passion for some stuff because of a passion or curiosity to learn about the most basic things.

IMHO, this is what separates scientists from your average fast food worker. Scientist have a great passion to learn, right? They also advance technology.

NOTE: I wanted to add this. I'm not saying that a fast food person doesn't have passion or doesn't study on this stuff, I'm just saying scientist generally (in their profession) want to learn study etc and that's probably why they wanted to be a scientist..

So call me stupid or whatever, I'm not very smart, but at least I have an interest (Just like you guys) in the most basic quesitons and i Love to learn and study about it.

:smile:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
QuantumTheory said:
Simiarily,
If you're just an average or below average IQ (I have an iq of like 100) and you have a huge passion and interest in something, with a lot of work, you can learn a lot and be just better than the person who is intelligent but doesn't have passion for some stuff because of a passion or curiosity to learn about the most basic things.
Certainly true. Intelligence is merely a measure of potential to solve problems. Passion, curiosity and hard work can outstrip intelligence alone.

QuantumTheory said:
"Useless" is a bit strong but I get the idea. I would instead say that intelligence is the second most relevant factor to success after drive. Or I might use the old saying: it's not your aptitudes but your attitude that determines your altitude. And no, you're not stupid at all to believe this.

Orefa said:
"Useless" is a bit strong but I get the idea. I would instead say that intelligence is the second most relevant factor to success after drive. Or I might use the old saying: it's not your aptitudes but your attitude that determines your altitude. And no, you're not stupid at all to believe this.

Thanks for both of you for a reasonable and constructive critism post.

I made a thread earlier on whether playing by ear (Not full orchastras, just the white keys, most any song) was a talent, people relentlessly flamed me and said everyone could do it. They then say it as a joke, but it wasn't.

Philosophy- Its a pretty big thing at my school (Jesuit Institution) but I can't see any jobs other than teaching, preaching, priesthood, writer, etc. Philosophy is kinda known for its lack of job opportunities.

Philosophy is a popular major for those planning on going to lawschool.

1. What is your opinion on this statement?

As a scientist, my opinion is based on evidence and research. Can you provide me with more context or information about the statement so I can give a more informed answer?

2. Do you agree or disagree with this statement?

My personal opinions do not matter in scientific research. It is important to gather data and evidence before forming a conclusion. Can you provide any evidence or studies to support your statement?

3. How does this statement relate to your area of expertise?

My area of expertise is focused on scientific research and analysis. Can you explain how your statement connects to scientific principles or theories?

4. Can you provide a scientific explanation for this statement?

As a scientist, I rely on empirical evidence to support any claims or statements. Can you provide any scientific evidence or research to support your statement?

5. How would you test or prove this statement?

In order to test or prove a statement, a scientific methodology must be followed. Can you explain how you came up with this statement and how you would gather data to test it?