What does a_n ≠ 0 mean in the fundamental theorem of algebra?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
SprucerMoose
Messages
62
Reaction score
0
Hi all,
I'm currently flicking through and old textbook and came across the following.

"Every polynomial of the form
P(z)%20=%20a_{0}x^{n}%20+%20a_{1}x^{n-1}%20+%20a_{2}x^{n-2}%20+%20...%20+%20a_{n-1}x%20+%20a_{n}.gif
, where
gif.latex?a^{n}\neq0.gif
has n linear factors over C...". What does it mean by [URL]http://latex.codecogs.com/gif.latex?a^{n}\neq0?[/URL] Is this referring to some kind of complex index? This is all that is written and nothing precedes it. I just don't quite understand the
gif.latex?a^{n}\neq0.gif
.Edit: Latex kind of fixed
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi SprucerMoose! :smile:

(try using the X2 and X2 icons just above the Reply box :wink:)

it must be a misprint for "where a0 ≠ 0" …

in other words, where it's a genuine nth-degree polynomial :smile:
 
Ah, I see. Thank you very much.Testing...

a2 + a0 + a1

Edit: It works!
 
SprucerMoose said:
Testing...

a2 + a0 + a1

Edit: It works!

Now you really are sprucer! :biggrin:
 
Mark44 said:
Do you mean a2 + a0 + a1?

Do you mean a2 + a0 + a1?