What does adding a base dropwise due to an acidic solution?

• Thread starter mrh124
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Base
In summary, adding a small amount of base allows the solution to equilibrate slowly, while just dumping a huge amount of base in causes the mixture to crystallize (form precipitates) into less stable bigger chunks with unwanted side products and lead to an inaccurate yield.
mrh124

Homework Statement

In my organic chemistry lab we are synthesizing Benzocaine by utilizing .25g of p-aminobenzoic acid, 2.5 ml ethanol, and add .3 ml H2SO4 together. Once this solution refluxes we add 10% K2CO3 dropwise and a precipitate will form.

Lots of details, but all the matters is that we have an acidic solution and are adding a base dropwise. What does adding it dropwise compared to dumping it in do compared to just dumping it?

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

That was a lot of details, but basically we have an acidic solution and we add a base Dropwise. What does adding the base dropwise do compared to just dumping the entire basic solution into the acidic mixture? I'm thinking it has to do with Le Chatlier's principle. Adding a small amount of base allows the solution to equilibrate slowly, while just dumping a huge amount of base in causes the mixture to crystallize (form precipitates) into less stable bigger chunks with unwanted side products and lead to an inaccurate yield.

Physics news on Phys.org
Organic chemistry is definitely not my forte, but the most obvious thing I can think of: what could happen in the high pH of excess potassium carbonate?

Borek said:
Organic chemistry is definitely not my forte, but the most obvious thing I can think of: what could happen in the high pH of excess potassium carbonate?

hmm. I'm probably complicating a ton but excess base would make the solution predominately basic preventing certain products from forming (maybe the main product, which is benzocaine?). We are synthesizing benzocaine which involves turning a p-aminobenzoic acid into ethyl p-aminobenzoate. This involves ethanol attacking carbonyl and being deprotonated by HSO4-. Without the deprotonation (wont happen in basic conditions?) the ethanol can become a leaving group instead.

This is a link to the mechanism: http://www.personal.psu.edu/users/j/m/jmg5214/writing_clip_image002_0002.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Look for much simpler thing. What happens to esters in high pH?

Borek said:
Look for much simpler thing. What happens to esters in high pH?

I want to say that they'll be hydrolyzed or fall apart?

Last edited:
And that's exactly my line of thinking.

Doesn't have to be right, but it is probably the simplest possible explanation.

solubility of benzocaine is marginal in water... better in ethanol. You add slowly to react excess sulfuric acid and then to free-base the product, slowly. when you just dump things together you risk entrapping the ammonium form with the free base. when you recrystallize, you lose the ammonium compound. And you risk overshooting the neutral point and could produce a basic aqueous solution that could start to hydrolyze the product during workup.

Related to What does adding a base dropwise due to an acidic solution?

1. What is the purpose of adding a base dropwise to an acidic solution?

The purpose of adding a base dropwise to an acidic solution is to neutralize the solution. This is done by gradually increasing the pH of the solution until it reaches a desired level.

2. How does adding a base dropwise affect the pH of an acidic solution?

Adding a base dropwise to an acidic solution gradually increases the pH of the solution, making it less acidic. The amount of base added will determine the final pH of the solution.

3. Is there a specific technique for adding a base dropwise to an acidic solution?

Yes, there is a specific technique for adding a base dropwise to an acidic solution. The base should be added slowly and in small increments, while constantly stirring the solution. This ensures that the pH is increasing gradually and allows for more precise control.

4. What types of bases are commonly used to neutralize an acidic solution?

Strong bases, such as sodium hydroxide and potassium hydroxide, are commonly used to neutralize acidic solutions. These bases have a high pH and can effectively neutralize strong acids.

5. What happens if too much base is added to an acidic solution?

If too much base is added to an acidic solution, the solution will become basic. This means that the pH will be higher than 7, making the solution more alkaline. This can be corrected by adding more acid dropwise to bring the pH back to the desired level.